Re: Why not reprint?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2003
      In Elfling message 25148
      (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/25148>), Helge writes:

      > Helge has discovered the wonderful world of electronic publishing,
      > allowing him to dispense with all the tedious
      > print/envelope/sending stuff. But to be fair, Carl F. Hostetter
      > recently did make at least a "sample" issue of VT available for
      > download. Why not do the same with other back-issues as well?
      > Especially the issues CFH doesn't
      > deem he needs somebody else's permission to re-publish electronically?

      As a matter of fact, I always _have_ published electronically all
      issues that don't need somebody else's permission to republish, which
      is precisely _none_. Every issue of _Vinyar Tengwar_ contains a great
      deal of quotation from Tolkien's published works -- being a scholarly
      publication that actually relies on primary material -- material which
      I have permission to publish only in printed form. As was prominently
      noted on the page from which one can download _VT_ 43
      (<http://www.elvish.org/VT/sample.html>), I received the Tolkien
      Estate's permission to republish that issue on the web. Should I decide
      to republish any other issues on the web, I will need to obtain
      permission to do so. (And even if I felt that I didn't need to do so,
      legally, for certain issues, I would _still_ ask first, out of
      courtesy.)

      May I ask you, Helge, why you decide to ask a question like this, which
      only I can answer, in a forum from which I have been banned? Could it
      be that you are not really interested in the answer, but only in yet
      again implying that there must be some reason other than the blindingly
      obvious one? (I would pose this query on Elfling were I not being
      censored by David Salo, but as it happens Helge is a member of this
      forum too.)

      Helge then wrote:

      > You didn't hear that from me. I am among the select few who _do_ have
      > a copy of the QL

      First, this is a typical Fauskangerian non-sequitur. Whether he owns a
      copy of _Parma_ 12 or not has absolutely _no_ bearing on his
      well-known, dismissive response to it. Second, we see yet another
      classic bit of Fauskangerian lying by innuendo: As Helge knows full
      well, no one was "selected" to be able to purchase _Parma_ 12, it was
      available to all on a first-come, first-served basis, until the print
      run sold out. As I recall, the print-run was in the 200-copy range, so
      it is also false to say that only a "few" have a copy. What _is_ true
      is that not everyone who wants a copy has one, but as usual the truth
      is not sufficient for Helge's political purposes.