A copyright case to watch

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2008
      <http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080416/en_nm/harrypotter_lawsuit_dc_19>

      Money quotes:

      "Earlier Vander Ark, who is based in London, said he had no choice but
      to use words similar to Rowling's own descriptions in his lexicon due
      to having to define creatures from a work of fiction and not the real
      world."

      DING DING DING! _Precisely_ why a lexicon of a fictional world runs
      afoul of copyright restrictions.
      "'It's a reference book,' he said. 'If I was writing a reference book
      to Shakespeare, I wouldn't list Shakespeare.'"

      Vander Ark neglects to notice the subtle distinction that
      Shakespeare's works _are in the public domain_, unlike Rowling's.

      And unlike Tolkien's.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2008
        And here's news of the ruling:

        <http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/09/08/harry.potter.lawsuit.ap/>

        Rowling "testified earlier this year that the lexicon was nothing more than a
        rearrangement of her material." The judge "ruled in Rowling's favor because the 'Lexicon
        appropriates too much of Rowling's creative work for its purposes as a reference guide.'"

        Carl