Re: Helge's reliance on censorship

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 48 , Oct 10, 2007
      Surprise, surprise, surprise.... my attempt to contribute
      an utterly innocuous post on 'axe' was itself mod-axed,
      for no discernible reason whatsoever, save (I suppose) a
      perceived 'alliance' with the ELF.

      Although I wonder if the censorship policy is more Salo's
      than Fauskanger's. Helge tends to be arrogant,
      hotheaded, in-your-face, confrontational- in a word
      direct: he did go right at the Estate, even if only to
      issue a veiled threat. Whereas Salo I would characterise
      with words like "underhanded" and "sneaky"- the sort who
      would much rather knife you in the back than hit you in
      the face. I note with interest his whimpering that Carl H
      was somehow engaged in an underhanded campaign to keep
      publishers off his book: people do tend to attribute to
      their opponents the sort of behavior they would engage in
      themselves.
      Message 48 of 48 , Oct 13, 2007
        On Oct 13, 2007, at 5:54 PM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:

        > Herewith the evenhanded 'moderation' of Elfling:
        >
        > ****************
        > 2) Repy, from D Salo:
        >
        > As a general matter, applicable to any user, however, messages to
        > the list are expected to attain a basic standard of politeness,
        > relevance, lack of antagonism towards other list members,

        Note the specification: politeness etc. is expected only _towards
        other list members_, which membership is continually being purged of
        Salo/Fauskanger's favorite targets.... (Not that any politeness etc.
        is expected from Helge, who is frequently rude to list members, as
        for only the most recent example, Thorsten Renk.)

        > and not to detract from the level of discussion by starting flamewars.

        <**couHELGEgh**>

        > It has been observed that your contributions to other online fora
        > have been contentious, quarrelsome, and abusive, characterized by
        > insults, flames,

        <**couHELGEgh**>
        > and even threats

        Let's see: people threatened by William Hicklin: 0. People threatened
        by Helge: at least 2. (Keep in mind, Helge actually sicced a lawyer
        on Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate in the person of
        Cathleen Blackburn.)

        Hm. Hm.