Nothing odd, Carl

  • Jakob Lier
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 15, 2007
      Carl wrote, to justify his "ignoring" certain messages on a list that used to be his personal playground:

      > (Oh, also because I've noticed from the headers of Lier's posts that
      he is sending his messages from 129.177.138.245, which oddly enough
      happens to be at Bergen University, Norway, which oddly enough
      happens to be Helge Fauskanger's university and the host of
      _Ardalambion_

      Nothing odd about it, Carl. (In fact, I've kind of expected that you would at the very least notice the ".no" at the end of my e-mail address and maybe try to turn this into a question of nationalistic bias...) Ardalambion was originally established with the help of Magne Bergland, head of the IT department at the University of Bergen and also a central figure of local Tolkien fandom (you may remember that he even used to be the editor of Angerhtas, the leading Tolkien fanzine in this country, which I believe you exchanged for VT). Since Bergland has been helping several of the Tolkien fans among the students with their Internet access, we do use the same server and quite similar addresses.

      You don't have to go Sherlock on subtle electronic clues; you could just have asked. As if my "affiliation" is something secret and shameful to me!

      Sure enough, I can claim no more "objectivity" in these matters than can your own friend Pat. Maybe he wouldn't like me to dismiss him just for that reason, as if his opinions are too biased and "compromised" to be of any interest? (But then, he is of course deleting my mail unread, so it doesn't matter. :)

      Message 48 of 48 , Oct 13, 2007
        On Oct 13, 2007, at 5:54 PM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:

        > Herewith the evenhanded 'moderation' of Elfling:
        >
        > ****************
        > 2) Repy, from D Salo:
        >
        > As a general matter, applicable to any user, however, messages to
        > the list are expected to attain a basic standard of politeness,
        > relevance, lack of antagonism towards other list members,

        Note the specification: politeness etc. is expected only _towards
        other list members_, which membership is continually being purged of
        Salo/Fauskanger's favorite targets.... (Not that any politeness etc.
        is expected from Helge, who is frequently rude to list members, as
        for only the most recent example, Thorsten Renk.)

        > and not to detract from the level of discussion by starting flamewars.

        <**couHELGEgh**>

        > It has been observed that your contributions to other online fora
        > have been contentious, quarrelsome, and abusive, characterized by
        > insults, flames,

        <**couHELGEgh**>
        > and even threats

        Let's see: people threatened by William Hicklin: 0. People threatened
        by Helge: at least 2. (Keep in mind, Helge actually sicced a lawyer
        on Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate in the person of
        Cathleen Blackburn.)

        Hm. Hm.