Re: [elfling-d] Re: "Venom-dripping" comment?

  • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 9, 2007
      [I have sent this once, but since it does not appear to have come
      through I try again. Apologies if this ends up as a double message.]

      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      > (Helge
      > NEVER misses a chance: I've just today received my copies of _Arda
      > Philology_ I, with which was enclosed a note on which most of the
      > participants of _Omentielva Tatya_ kindly and thoughtfully added

      To be accurate, the note was from _Omentielva Minya_ in 2005, the
      conference documented in the volume; as that time there was no lower
      'non-attending' conference fee, I thought it fitting to salute the
      handful of registrants that could not turn up with notes signed by
      the attendants. Most of these are now being enclosed with the published
      proceedings (there are two people that have got their volumes in other
      ways, and I will have to send them their notes by separate post).

      > brief notes of greeting; Helge, however, could not resist the
      > opportunity to add a typically snide and venom-dripping remark. NOTE
      > that he could simply have written NOTHING; but he could not resist
      > the opportunity.)

      Well, acutally all the notes were passed round the table for
      everyone to sign; obviously Helge did not wish to be demonstratively
      uncivil by passing yours on. His words must thus have been meant to
      be civil. He chose to ironize on the situation, and not write something
      kind; are you seeing a level of snide meaning on top of that?
      This idea with signing notes is something I have liked in another
      group that I am a member of. I am sorry if it created an unnecessary
      snag.

      Best greetings,

      Beregond
      Message 48 of 48 , Oct 13, 2007
        On Oct 13, 2007, at 5:54 PM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:

        > Herewith the evenhanded 'moderation' of Elfling:
        >
        > ****************
        > 2) Repy, from D Salo:
        >
        > As a general matter, applicable to any user, however, messages to
        > the list are expected to attain a basic standard of politeness,
        > relevance, lack of antagonism towards other list members,

        Note the specification: politeness etc. is expected only _towards
        other list members_, which membership is continually being purged of
        Salo/Fauskanger's favorite targets.... (Not that any politeness etc.
        is expected from Helge, who is frequently rude to list members, as
        for only the most recent example, Thorsten Renk.)

        > and not to detract from the level of discussion by starting flamewars.

        <**couHELGEgh**>

        > It has been observed that your contributions to other online fora
        > have been contentious, quarrelsome, and abusive, characterized by
        > insults, flames,

        <**couHELGEgh**>
        > and even threats

        Let's see: people threatened by William Hicklin: 0. People threatened
        by Helge: at least 2. (Keep in mind, Helge actually sicced a lawyer
        on Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate in the person of
        Cathleen Blackburn.)

        Hm. Hm.