"Venom-dripping" comment?

  • Jakob Lier
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 8 2:41 PM
      Carl wrote:

      > Helge Fauskanger makes his umpteenth snide, venom-dripping comment.

      Essentially Helge just said: "Parma 17 is so interesting that I wish this material had been published earlier. I think this is more interesting than the early stuff the editors have been prioritizing before. Wonder if they will now go on publishing late material instead?"

      Honestly now, Carl: Is this a "snide, venom-dripping comment"? Is it not simply an opinion, a pretty harmless remark?

      The project you are involved in is of interest to very many people, and it will inevitably draw various comments. Often the members of your group are praised for your efforts, like Eris just complimented you. Some, like Helge, disagree with your main priorities. So what? _Obviously_ there will be various opinions in connection with the publication of the notes of such a famous author. _Obviously_ some comments will be more critical than others. Is it necessary to get so very agitated about that?

      Do remember that you are yourself a pretty consistent critic of Helge and David's works. Maybe you should not expect abject flattery in return?

      And what about David? He just detected that things might seem to be heating up and asked everybody to calm down before things could get nasty. How can you seriously say that he "threatens censorship of those who fail to toe the party line"? Indeed, ARE you quite serious?

      Why do you assume that his comments are aimed at Thorsten as opposed to Helge? David seems to be talking to the Elfling community as a whole, trying to maintain peace.

      > There is NOT ONE WORD of gratitude from Helge for Chris's work

      Be kind. Doesn't Helge say that he "welcomes" the publication of Parma 17, even calling it a "pleasant surprise"? Doesn't he conclude by saying that your group has after all published a substantial amount of material, and some of it is even the kind of stuff he is particularly interested in?

      You must not be so intent on finding snide or innuendo in the writings of your critics that you detect it even where it is hardly present at all. Nor should you overlook the compliments and appreciative remarks that are (actually!) to be found there.

      Message 48 of 48 , Oct 13, 2007
        On Oct 13, 2007, at 5:54 PM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:

        > Herewith the evenhanded 'moderation' of Elfling:
        >
        > ****************
        > 2) Repy, from D Salo:
        >
        > As a general matter, applicable to any user, however, messages to
        > the list are expected to attain a basic standard of politeness,
        > relevance, lack of antagonism towards other list members,

        Note the specification: politeness etc. is expected only _towards
        other list members_, which membership is continually being purged of
        Salo/Fauskanger's favorite targets.... (Not that any politeness etc.
        is expected from Helge, who is frequently rude to list members, as
        for only the most recent example, Thorsten Renk.)

        > and not to detract from the level of discussion by starting flamewars.

        <**couHELGEgh**>

        > It has been observed that your contributions to other online fora
        > have been contentious, quarrelsome, and abusive, characterized by
        > insults, flames,

        <**couHELGEgh**>
        > and even threats

        Let's see: people threatened by William Hicklin: 0. People threatened
        by Helge: at least 2. (Keep in mind, Helge actually sicced a lawyer
        on Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate in the person of
        Cathleen Blackburn.)

        Hm. Hm.