Re: On the role of the editorial team

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5 3:39 PM
      A few more thoughts:

      I would first like to point out that Christopher Gilson labored over the contents of _Parma
      Eldlamberon_ 17 for _years_. Unless you've seen the state of the papers themselves, it's
      easy to fail to even begin to appreciate how difficult it is even just to find all the disparate,
      scattered bits across the boxfiles that constitute Tolkien's specific comments on the
      "foreign language" element in _The Lord of the Rings_, let alone the ever-present difficulty
      of reading Tolkien's often _very_ rough handwriting, and understanding how things best
      fit together and can be presented. (And not to mention all the cross-referencing that is
      required.)

      I would further like to point out that Chris very generously _donated_ copies of this work
      to _Omentielva Tatya_, giving _each_ attendee a free copy, at his expense.

      And then I would like finally to point out that Chris's only thanks for all this from Helge is
      to use it as an excuse to make yet another public attack on the "editorial team", bashing
      us for not doing enough to satisfy HIS demands. There is NOT ONE WORD of gratitude
      from Helge for Chris's work, or for Chris's gift to him.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5 4:38 PM
        On Sep 5, 2007, at 6:39 PM, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        > There is NOT ONE WORD of gratitude from Helge for Chris's work, or
        > for Chris's gift to him.

        And why is this? The answer is readily discernible (and brings us
        right back to Thorsten's original post):

        Helge believes that he is ENTITLED to the contents of Tolkien's
        papers; and so he believes that ANYONE who stands between him and
        those contents is nothing but an OBSTACLE to his entitlement, to whom
        of course he owes NOTHING (save contempt).

        Of course, NO ONE is _entitled_ to the contents of Tolkien's papers.
        Christopher Tolkien would have been entirely within his rights to
        lock the papers away forever, or even to burn them. Instead, he chose
        to make their contents available, _in due time_, _in the appropriate
        manner_, _properly edited_, and in _printed form_; and he selected
        Christopher Gilson and his colleagues to bring this about.

        But because Helge believes he _is_ entitled to the contents of
        Tolkien's papers, he sees Christopher Tolkien, Christopher Gilson,
        myself, and my colleagues _not_ as we are -- the _means_ by which
        Tolkien's papers are graciously being made available to all
        interested parties (including Helge) -- but rather as nothing but
        _obstacles_ between him and those papers.

        And from this belief flows his unceasing contempt, and petulance,
        towards Christopher Tolkien, the Tolkien Estate, and the "editorial
        team".

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5 6:56 PM
          "Travis" writes:

          > What I want to see is ... a "mass release" publication scheme via an equally
          > handsome Languages of Middle-earth hardcover series modeled on
          > Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle-earth series.

          I would have liked to see that too, actually. But merely wanting something does not mean
          it can be. For starters, this would require interesting a commercial publisher in the
          project, which means convincing them that there is a sufficient market of interest in
          Tolkien's languages to support the commercial publication of such a series. But no
          publisher I know of is convinced of that (in fact, getting ANY academic Tolkien material
          published is VERY difficult), and so there is little or no prospect of this happening. (And
          the desirability of such a publication is only MY view; I have no idea whether Christopher
          Tolkien, Christopher Gilson, or the others would want to publish in this manner even if it
          were possible.)

          So we're doing the best we can in the circumstances.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6 7:58 PM
            message/34398>).
            Helge K. Fauskanger <helge.fauskanger@...> writes:

            > [The "editorial team"] have also taken upon themselves a
            tremendous moral responsibility

            I would be remiss in not correcting this arrogant assertion. (Who
            does Helge think he is to tell us what our responsibilities are?
            Until and unless he starts paying us salaries, Helge is not the boss
            of us.)

            Whatever responsibility we have, it is certainly not "moral" (a most
            curious thing for Helge of all people to appeal to with respect to
            Tolkien's manuscripts, given his activities).

            Moreover, I deny that we have any _responsibility_ at all: we could
            all of us walk away from this project tomorrow, if we choose. We have
            made no contract; we receive no salary; we have no obligation to
            publish one scrap more, if we choose not to. We don't owe anything to
            anyone; no one is _entitled_ to our time or efforts. We do this
            because we _want_ to, and only _so long_ as we want to: that is, so
            long as we find it personally satisfying and enjoyable and
            _worthwhile_ to do so. And no longer.

            Carl
          • Eris
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 7 6:00 PM
              With the recent flare up of criticism of the editorial team, I would like to
              say something to Carl Hostetter, Christopher Gilson, and all others working
              on editing the linguistic papers: thank you!

              While I too would love to see things published more quickly, I am under no
              illusions that the process of editing and publishing the material is easy, or
              can be done quickly, and the work that has been done so far is wonderful!

              So thank you, all of you.

              Eris Caffee
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7 7:58 PM
                Thank you, Eris, for your kind and thoughtful words. It's very nice
                and encouraging to hear, every now and then!