The immoderation of Elfling goes on and on

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
      Helge Fauskanger makes his umpteenth snide, venom-dripping comment.
      (Im)Moderator David "They are the past! We are the future!" Salo says
      nothing.

      Someone says "boo" in reply.

      Only then does (im)moderator David Salo see anything worth commenting
      on, and threatens censorship of those who fail to toe the party line.

      Does anyone else see a pattern here?

      Carl
    • Rodrigo Jaroszewski
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
        I do. Unfortunately.

        Honestly, I've been in Elfling for 4 years already. Helge criticizes
        (sarcastically) the Editorial Team's publication agenda in a regular
        basis there: criticisms that not only did not speed up the rate of
        publication (or its contents) at all, but were completely unnecessary to
        make the point in all of the messages Helge has written which
        contained them (that I can remember). It feels that those criticisms
        serve no other purpose than to attack, hurt, and generate a sentiment
        of animosity towards the ET.

        Why is it so hard for Helge to just keep his thoughts to himself when
        the subject is ET, VT, and PE? It's not a matter of beginning to like
        the ET out of the blue, but of showing some respect to the almost
        couple of thousand people that receive his e-mails, for starters. I'm
        very very tired of reading them, for sure. _They do not add value to
        the conversation._

        Like Thorsten said, we have different motivations, and the fact is,
        be it the way we want it or not, we should be very happy we _do_ have
        VT/PE at all. The other option was to keep analyzing Lost Road for
        the next 50 years.

        We could take the fact that Thorsten sent the message on the 2nd of
        September, and celebrate both the death of Tolkien _and_ of sarcastic
        comments on Elfling.

        Regards,
        --
        Rodrigo Jaroszewski
        http://slicer.neosys.com.br

        most illustrous members of the community into silence, and any that
        would support his opinions. How about moderating Helge first, and
        _then_ see if you would even have any e-mails like those?

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
          Well said, Rodrigo (and others who have replied to me privately).

          May I suggest that you send these comments on to David Salo (if you
          haven't done so already)? Until and unless he is convinced that
          others see the bias in his "moderation", I don't think we can expect
          any change in Elfling at all.

          Thanks,

          Carl
        • Rodrigo Jaroszewski
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
            I spoke in no clearer words than I could, and in the medium I see fit
            to receive this message. Helge is subscribed to this list, has most
            likely read my e-mail, and knows he's the only one that can actually
            do anything about this: so I have said what I had to say to whom I had
            to say. David can read it too once he joins this group.

            If I can't deliver your request, rest assured that the Brazilian fans
            do know what my stance is on the matter, as I've translated Thorsten's
            message completely on my site, explaining the whole situation and the
            context. There are, in Brazil, only two websites dedicated completely
            to Tolkien's languages: the Port. translation of Ardalambion
            (gathering a bit of dust as the main translator is working on
            publishing Thorsten's Sindarin Course), and mine, so I feel it's "part
            of my job".

            Cordially,
            --
            Rodrigo "Slicer" Jaroszewski