Re: Khuzdul: The Dwarven Tongue

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2006
      In Elfling message 33157 (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/
      message/33157>), Jay Lawson wrote:

      > I find this a little frustrating, although certainly not your
      > fault. I had corresponence with Carl Hostetter, Bill Welden, and
      > Patrick Wynne some years back that was quite amiable (despite some
      > of the experiences of members on this forum). However, I was
      > unable to get them to release any information at all regarding what
      > they had in their possession.

      Jay, this is simply untrue, as my e-mail records show. I told you
      everything I was able to tell you (admittedly, not much) by way of
      characterizing the material, which was at any rate enough to convey
      to you that the remaining unpublished material isn't going to
      "complete" Khuzdul or make it "usable" in the way you seem to want.
      Khuzdul was, for Tolkien, and thus ever will be, for us, nothing more
      than a sketch of a language. (To my mind, your interests would be
      much better served by simply making up your own language expressing
      your own phonetic and grammatical tastes, and leaving Khuzdul out of
      it entirely. I rather think Tolkien would have made the same
      suggestion to you.)

      As for the rest of your post: Christopher Tolkien gave us copies of
      this material to edit and (eventually) publish in a scholarly manner.
      Part of that manner includes a judgement as to what to publish when.
      I'm sorry you aren't willing to let us (including Christopher
      Tolkien) use our judgement in these matters, but so long as
      Christopher Tolkien is, we'll continue to present the material in the
      manner and order that we deem best for fulfilling his purpose in
      providing the material to us in the first place.