Re: Moderatorial bias/hypocrisy/inconsistency on Elfling

    Message 1 of 9 , May 23, 2003
      On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 03:43 PM, Kai MacTane wrote:

      > Your hyperbole is amusing, but still hyperbole. I can't imagine
      > Patrick's graylisting will last past the year 2150 or so. :)

      LOL!

      Thanks for shedding some more light on the situation.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 23, 2003
        I would like to ask another couple of questions of the Elfling
        moderators: 1) have any of Helge's postings _ever_ been moderated back
        to him, and 2) has he _ever_ been issued a warning, public or private,
        regarding the tone and contents of his posts?
      • Kai MacTane
        Message 3 of 9 , May 23, 2003
          At 5/23/03 02:50 PM , Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
          >I would like to ask another couple of questions of the Elfling
          >moderators: 1) have any of Helge's postings _ever_ been moderated back
          >to him, and 2) has he _ever_ been issued a warning, public or private,
          >regarding the tone and contents of his posts?

          Naturally, I cannot speak for any other moderator. Unfortunately, I cannot
          say with any certainty for myself, either. I perform such activities via
          Yahoo! Groups' web interface, and it doesn't keep track of sufficiently
          detailed information. (Having gone back and checked, I can see things like
          "3/24/2003 9:26 pm Rejected post #8974 via web by kmactane
          <kmactane@...>", but that gives me no information about who sent
          that post.

          Also, the number doesn't match up with the message numbers of actual,
          posted messages -- my suspicion is that these numbers only count messages
          which were subject to moderation, and messages from whitelisted members
          simply fly through and don't add to this count. For sure, the actual
          message #8974 was posted back in January of 2002, around when I was first
          subscribing to Elfling.

          And my own memory is not sufficient. I approve anywhere up to two dozen
          messages a day, and rejection numbers vary wildly, depending on how many
          people are asking questions that are answered in the FAQ in any given week.
          I'd love to be able to say, "Why yes, I told Helge back on March 22nd that
          his phrasing about such-and-so was a little overboard, and could he please
          tone it down." But all I can honestly say is, I have no recollection.

          --Kai MacTane
          "I think that somehow/Somewhere inside of us,
          We must be similar/If not the same."
          --Suzanne Vega,
          "Left of Center"