Re: Banned from yet another site

  • iavasj
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 15, 2004
      --- In elfling-d@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Shaw" <AaronShaw@m...> wrote:

      > Honestly, though, I think the problem lies with those who run these
      > sites more than anywhere else.

      I have to whole heartedly agree with this statement having seen it
      first hand. Not all posts are written with an attitude, but far too
      many are read with one.

      > The problem arises when, on TOLKIEN
      > websites, people actively support ideas which can be rendered
      obsolete
      > by reference to Tolkien's text or deductive reasoning. There is no
      > harm in bringing these situations to light.

      However, there are quite a number of places where they would much
      rather these situations not be brought to light and will actively
      silence those who make an attempt to do so.

      > We CAN'T use the language(s) without
      > assumptions so an introduction to theory is absolutely imperative
      for
      > anyone who wants to learn these languages.

      Absolutely. The technical and theoretical aspects of the languages
      should not be (indeed, cannot be) separated from the study of them.
      New comers should not be sheilded from the discussions simply out of
      a desire to avoid confusing them. True, they may feel overwhelmed and
      confused at first, but those who are truly interested will learn and
      get passed it. Even if their only desire is to compose poetry, they
      still should understand where Tolkien left off and assumption and
      theory pick up.

      Tracy
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 16, 2004
        On Dec 15, 2004, at 11:51 PM, iavasj wrote:

        > Absolutely. The technical and theoretical aspects of the languages
        > should not be (indeed, cannot be) separated from the study of them.

        This is it exactly. I don't know where people ever got the idea that
        learning a language -- or, in the case of Elvish, and other
        poorly-attested dead languages, more accurately learning _about_ a
        language (indeed, ESPECIALLY in such cases) -- wouldn't involve a lot
        of often technical study and discussion, and impose demands of
        precision and rigor: just like any other scholarly endeavor.