Re: [S] Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2004
      And coming hard on its heels, _another_ similarly "fact"-filled post,
      by "Aelindis" (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/30905>):

      > The entry in PE11:17 says:
      >
      > "_a(d) causing (stop mutation). into. Q _atta_.
      > [Pencil. Whether "causing" is a gloss or part of the grammatical
      > explanation is unclear.]"
      >
      > Though "stop mutation" was deleted and has been placed within braces
      > by the editors for that reason it seems to be a term invented by
      > Tolkien.

      No, the words "stop mutation" were NOT deleted, nor are the parentheses
      editorial: those parentheses are _Tolkien's_, in the manuscript. (Had
      the words been deleted, the words would have been set in braces: {} and
      this fact would have been noted in the editorial note. Had they been
      editorial insertions, this would have been indicated by square
      brackets: [] BOTH conventions being carefully noted in the extensive
      list of such on p. 76 of PE11.)