Re: [S] Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2004
      In Elfling message 30900
      (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/30900>), "Gildor
      Inglorion" writes:

      > A year or two ago, Carl criticised Ardalambion on this saying 'ha, you
      > call it stop mutation while you ignore that Tolkien himself named
      > something like this as a hard mutation'... i think i read it in
      > Tengwestie?

      No, you most certainly did not, because I never said this, anywhere.

      So now the so-called "moderators" of Elfling are perfectly content to
      allow members of the list to fabricate quotes and attribute them to
      people that they've prohibited from responding to or correcting such
      falsehoods.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2004
        And coming hard on its heels, _another_ similarly "fact"-filled post,
        by "Aelindis" (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/30905>):

        > The entry in PE11:17 says:
        >
        > "_a(d) causing (stop mutation). into. Q _atta_.
        > [Pencil. Whether "causing" is a gloss or part of the grammatical
        > explanation is unclear.]"
        >
        > Though "stop mutation" was deleted and has been placed within braces
        > by the editors for that reason it seems to be a term invented by
        > Tolkien.

        No, the words "stop mutation" were NOT deleted, nor are the parentheses
        editorial: those parentheses are _Tolkien's_, in the manuscript. (Had
        the words been deleted, the words would have been set in braces: {} and
        this fact would have been noted in the editorial note. Had they been
        editorial insertions, this would have been indicated by square
        brackets: [] BOTH conventions being carefully noted in the extensive
        list of such on p. 76 of PE11.)