Re: [elfling] Digest Number 2085

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2004
      In Elfling message 30485
      (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/30485>), Helge
      Fauskanger writes:

      > The theory that A-stems have present-tense forms in -ea is based on a
      > specific interpretation of a single example, and is (somewhat
      > curiously) rejected by the very person who first presented this
      > interpretation.

      Helge, you might retain a shred of credibility on matters Elvish if you
      could manage to stop lying about what others have said even just once
      in awhile.

      Since as you yourself note I was the one who stated that there is
      evidence that _orea_ is likely a present-tense form of this verb as an
      _a_-stem, it would indeed be strange if I really had in turn "rejected"
      the notion that _orea_ is an _a_-stem present formation, as you lyingly
      claim -- which fact would to any rational individual be the first clue
      that what you're saying makes no sense and is in fact completely
      untrue. You alas seem not to qualify.

      But in fact, my criticism is and has only ever been that from this
      _single, specific_ example of _orea_ you derive entire paradigms of
      present-tense forms for every derived verb you can lay your mitts on,
      and even go so far as to imagine that wherever Tolkien has a derived
      verb _not_ in _-ea_, he must have intended an aorist meaning. The
      criticism is thus part and parcel of my general criticism of your
      bankrupt, unscholarly "methodology" of running roughshod over facts and
      ignoring both counterevidence and the reality of the nature of
      Tolkien's languages and their invention.