S. *_ista-_ (was Re: "there is" and "unknown" (S))

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2004
      In Elfling message 30375
      (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/30375>), Thomas Ferencz
      writes:

      > _ista-_ is truly marked as intransitive in Etym, but it is my view
      > that later Tolkien changed his mind and treated ista- as a transitive
      > verb, cf. its use as a modal verb in Quenya: _istan quete_ "I know how
      > to speak" (VT41)

      But _Qenya_ _ista-_ was already transitive in _Etymologies_, where it
      is translated as 'know'. Only the Noldorin cognate, in the infinitive
      form _isto_, is said to be intransitive. So the fact that Q. _ista-_
      continued to be transitive in later forms of Quenya has no more
      necessary bearing on the transitivity of the cognate verb in later
      forms of Sindarin than did the Qenya form on the Noldorin form in
      _Etymologies_.

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |