Aorist. Indefinite or habitual or gnomic

  • falmarendur
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15 11:17 PM
      Aiya, in PE14, on page 34, there's something that calls my mind: in
      the presentation of the Qenya aorist, it says: "Aorist. Indefinite or
      habitual or Gnomic". Does that mean that the gnomish aorist could be
      formed as the Qenyatic one?
      Thanks!
    • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15 11:55 PM
        falmarendur wrote:

        > Aiya, in PE14, on page 34, there's something that calls my mind: in
        > the presentation of the Qenya aorist, it says: "Aorist. Indefinite or
        > habitual or Gnomic". Does that mean that the gnomish aorist could be
        > formed as the Qenyatic one?

        I do not think so. Like "indefinite" and
        "habitual", "Gnomic" presumably indicates the
        usage range for the aorist tense. It says that
        aorist can be used as our gnomic present ("Every
        dragon has his weak spot", "Where will wants not
        a way opens", &c.).

        Suilad,

        Beregond