Re: [elfling-d] Re: qenya wordlist

  • Eris
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2004
      On Sunday 25 July 2004 05:20 pm, falmarendur wrote:
      > Why should such a manuscript have copyright? There are on the net
      > thousands of pages with elvish poems by tolkien and with wordlists
      > for elvish and other languages. Don't they need copyright? Why?

      As to the wordlists and poems available on the Internet, I will point out
      something that ought to be obvious: just because people put something on the
      Net, that does not mean that they have the legal right to do so. Just look
      at all of the audio and movie recordings illegally available. If you find
      any of Tolkien's poems on the Internet, then rest assured that they are
      indeed copyrighted and are being published illegally unless the website
      author has obtained special permission, which ought to be noted somewhere on
      the site.

      Having said that, there is an argument to be made that "wordlists" and other
      linguistic information cannot be copyrighted, but such arguments have not
      been tested in court, so far as I know, and it may very well come to pass
      that the courts eventually declare that you *can* copyright such things.
      Until then, you are taking chances if you publish them.

      Of course, if you compile a word list yourself (rather than copying one from
      Tolkien or another author), then you can argue quite strongly that you,
      yourself, are the author and the copyright belongs to you, and thus you have
      the right to publish as you choose. Some people have done this. See Helge
      Fauskangers website, for his excellent work: http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

      But in the case of Parma Eldalamberon #12, there really is little question, as
      the last line on the title page says it all.

      "Copyright (C) 1998 by The Tolkien Trust"

      Creating your own summary of the content (word definitions, grammar summaries,
      etc.) might be permissible, but simply copying everything and putting it
      online would be quite wrong without argument. Hopefully someday this
      material will be made freely available by the Trust, but I don't think it
      will happen any time soon.

      > By the way, is it going to be a reprinting of _Parma_13?

      I hope so, as I don't have it.

      Eris