Re: [elfling-d] Helge's revised Quenya course

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4 6:38 AM
      On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 08:33 AM, Boris Shapiro wrote:

      > Haven't you find the use of _harya-_ "to possess" for "to have" a bit
      > strange, in the light of Tolkien's idea about expressing Elven, err,
      > lexical attitude towards the question of having/possessing children in
      > MR?

      No. What has avoiding a connotation of "possessing" sentient beings to
      do with the idea of possessing happiness?

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |

    • Boris Shapiro
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4 11:49 PM
        Aiya!

        Tuesday, March 4, 2003, 5:38:18 PM, Carl F . Hostetter wrote:

        >> Haven't you find the use of _harya-_ "to possess" for "to have" a bit
        >> strange, in the light of Tolkien's idea about expressing Elven, err,
        >> lexical attitude towards the question of having/possessing children in
        >> MR?
        CFH> No. What has avoiding a connotation of "possessing" sentient
        CFH> beings to do with the idea of possessing happiness?
        Unfortunately I do not know languages that do have the verb "to
        possess", but do not use it in case of sentient beings. But there are
        numerous languages that do not it in case of sentient beings because
        they do not have it altogether. The suggestion was that Quenya is the
        case.

        Apart from the external history of the letter in question (it came
        at third hand with neither its owner nor the original available), two
        more lexical points add a bit of doubtfulness:

        1) _noo_ as temporal "before". While nothing was fixed in Tolkien's
        mind, I tend to think that a second case of "yes/no" topsy-turvy (quite a
        phenomenon itself) is unlikely. We have _noo_ with the temporal
        "after" settled in "Quenya Lexicon" on the one hand and presumably a
        similar meaning in PM:135 _Nootuile_ etc on the other hand (at least
        there can be no "before" meaning in the latter). It seems to me
        unlikely that Tolkien turned its meaning upside down after being
        seemingly faithful to it. Though that is not a weighty argument _per
        se_, there is no 100% authentic example of him using _noo_ as
        "before" in the known corpus.

        2) _saa_ "that". You once said that you had seen no example of it in
        all the texts you prepare for publishing. That is surprising, because
        given such a (very much) useful and plain conjugation it is strange
        not to find it attested in authentic texts. That adds some more
        suspicion.

        The only thing to advocate that Dorothy letter's authenticity is as
        follows: IMHO most forgers would have avoided that _noo_ irregularity.
        At that time the "yes"/"no" phenomenon was still unknown, and I doubt
        anybody could have come up with such a crazy idea.

        The spelling of "n"/"u" is widely known, it is not a proof.

        Namaarie! S.Y., Elenhil Laiquendo

        : ulco ume i mine eldassen ar i neuna firimassen :
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5 5:38 AM
          On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 02:49 AM, Boris Shapiro wrote:

          > But there are numerous languages that do not [use a verb meaning
          > 'possess'] in case of sentient beings because they do not have it
          > altogether. The suggestion was that Quenya is the case.

          Whether or not that was Tolkien's intention at that specific time, it
          is inarguable that Quenya _did_ at other times have a means to express
          possession or ownership: there is Q _harya-_ 'possess' right there in
          _Etymologies_. Even in the contemporary material in _Morgoth's Ring_ we
          find this statement: "The chosen names were regarded by the Noldor as
          part of their personal property, likes (say) their rings, cups, or
          knives, or other possessions which they could lend, or share with
          kindred and friends, but which could not be taken without leave."
          (X:215). If one can possess a name, I don't see why one can't possess
          (have/hold) a measure a joy.

          > 1) _noo_ as temporal "before". While nothing was fixed in Tolkien's
          > mind, I tend to think that a second case of "yes/no" topsy-turvy
          > (quite a phenomenon itself) is unlikely.

          LOL! We've already seen how fluid the meanings ascribed to various
          prepositions is, in independent sources (e.g., VT43-44). It is not the
          _least_ bit surprising to find it here.

          > 2) _saa_[_sic_; read _sa_ CFH] "that". You once said that you had seen
          > no example of it in all the texts you prepare for publishing. That is
          > surprising, because given such a (very much) useful and plain
          > conjugation it is strange not to find it attested in authentic texts.
          > That adds some more suspicion.

          I don't recall what I said (or when), but if I did say anything like
          this, I'm sure I meant something different from how you've interpreted
          it. I would have meant that I _did not recall_ seeing _sa_ used this
          way in the contemporary papers I'd seen; but since I've never gone
          through the papers specifically looking for _sa_ used this way, it
          would not be in the least bit surprising to me to eventually find it
          amongst the contemporary papers, somewhere.

          In any event, this focus on the lexicon overlooks an even more telling
          fact about the sentence: the surprising and yet, when considered,
          perfectly Tolkienian sentiment imputed to the Elves by the codicil to
          the sentence, added when addressing mortals: "before you pass from the
          world". It would take someone intimately familiar both with the
          languages and with Tolkien's Elvish attitudes and metaphysics to
          concoct so note-perfect a touch. Of the few people I know who qualify,
          I would hope that none would have any interest in perpetrating such a
          hoax.

        • Pavel Iosad
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6 2:14 PM
            Hello,

            [Boris:]
            >> But there are numerous languages that do not [use a verb meaning
            >> 'possess'] in case of sentient beings because they do not have it
            >> altogether. The suggestion was that Quenya is the case.

            [Carl:]
            > Whether or not that was Tolkien's intention at that specific time, it
            > is inarguable that Quenya _did_ at other times have a means to express

            > possession or ownership: there is Q _harya-_ 'possess' right there in
            > _Etymologies_.

            A language can have a verb meaning 'possess' and still not use it to
            express possesion routinely. Our own (mine and Boris') native Russian is
            an example - we have _imet'_ "to have", _obladat'_ "possess", but an "I
            have" construction is expressed by a periphrastic construction.

            Pavel
            --
            Pavel Iosad pavel_iosad@...

            Is mall a mharcaicheas am fear a bheachdaicheas
            --Scottish proverb