Re: Go on with Taliska ;)

  • Bill Welden
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2004
      Peter Edelberg wrote:
      > Do you all realise that _Skirditaila_ is translated in
      > _The Treason of Isengard_ p. 455 and is said to
      > mean 'runic series'?

      Thanks for the reference. The article I was trying to find is in VT
      23, _Words and Devices_ by Pat and Carl. They have an
      extended essay on the subject, "Is _Taliska_ Taliskan?" They
      connect _-taila_ on the Elvish side with the root TAY "extend,
      make longer"; a reasonable base for "series".

      The _Words and Devices_ series is required reading for anyone
      interested in the connection between Elvish and the European
      languages.

      I'd check out Arden's article, but, you know, I gave my copy of
      _Legendarium_ to Peter Jackson when I was in New Zealand...

      --Bill
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2004
        --- In elfling-d@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Welden" <BillWelden@h...>
        wrote:
        > The _Words and Devices_ series is required reading for anyone
        > interested in the connection between Elvish and the European
        > languages.

        I am a big fan of VT, and I miss the stuff you, Carl Hostetter,
        Arden Smith, Pat Wynne et. al. wrote about the different aspects of
        Tolkien's languages. Today VT is occupied with publishing Tolkien's
        manuscripts and that is of course great and much to be preferred,
        but still I miss articles like _Words and Devices_. Gladly there is
        beginning to appear articles on _Tengwestie_ by the ET on other
        matters that unpublished papers. It is unfortunate that so few are
        interested in writing about the semantics, history, and philosophy
        of Tolkien's linguistic creation. But I could of course just start
        myself, but who has the time these days ;-). BTW I loved you article
        on negation in Elvish - it had just that balance between grammatical
        analysis and historical perspective that makes an article
        entertaining as well as informative.

        > I'd check out Arden's article, but, you know, I gave my copy of
        > _Legendarium_ to Peter Jackson when I was in New Zealand...

        You did? Great! I sincerely hope he read it and saw some of the
        deeper levels of Tolkien's world. All in all I think Jackson and the
        rest of his team did a good job at catching the spirit of Middle-
        earth. Can I ask you what you think of the project, being in a
        position where you saw some of the process as well as (I believe)
        seen the final product? And what did you think of the Elvish (and
        other Tolkien-languages) in the movies? I'd love to hear an
        insider / expert opinion. Of course it could be great if others want
        to join the discussion as well and say what they think of the
        language-aspect of Jackson's _Lord of the Rings_.

        yours sincerely
        Peter Edelberg
      • jonathan_avidan
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2004
          > BTW I loved you article
          > on negation in Elvish - it had just that balance between
          grammatical
          > analysis and historical perspective that makes an article
          > entertaining as well as informative.

          Kotebh jonathan_avidan:

          Just this kind of articles, such as Bill's, is the purely external-
          diachronic perspective on Tolkien's artlangs which is so
          quintessential to our study yet is partially neglected. That may
          change as the times go by, however.