Re: Go on with Taliska ;)

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2004
      Do you all realise that _Skirditaila_ is translated in _The Treason
      of Isengard_ p. 455 and is said to mean 'runic series'? So Bill's
      analysis seems reasonable. Arden R. Smith wrote an article in
      _Tolkien's Legendarium_ called _Certhas, Skirditaila, Futhark_, is
      that the one you were looking for, Bill?

      sincerely,
      Peter Edelberg
    • Bill Welden
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2004
        Peter Edelberg wrote:
        > Do you all realise that _Skirditaila_ is translated in
        > _The Treason of Isengard_ p. 455 and is said to
        > mean 'runic series'?

        Thanks for the reference. The article I was trying to find is in VT
        23, _Words and Devices_ by Pat and Carl. They have an
        extended essay on the subject, "Is _Taliska_ Taliskan?" They
        connect _-taila_ on the Elvish side with the root TAY "extend,
        make longer"; a reasonable base for "series".

        The _Words and Devices_ series is required reading for anyone
        interested in the connection between Elvish and the European
        languages.

        I'd check out Arden's article, but, you know, I gave my copy of
        _Legendarium_ to Peter Jackson when I was in New Zealand...

        --Bill
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2004
          --- In elfling-d@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Welden" <BillWelden@h...>
          wrote:
          > The _Words and Devices_ series is required reading for anyone
          > interested in the connection between Elvish and the European
          > languages.

          I am a big fan of VT, and I miss the stuff you, Carl Hostetter,
          Arden Smith, Pat Wynne et. al. wrote about the different aspects of
          Tolkien's languages. Today VT is occupied with publishing Tolkien's
          manuscripts and that is of course great and much to be preferred,
          but still I miss articles like _Words and Devices_. Gladly there is
          beginning to appear articles on _Tengwestie_ by the ET on other
          matters that unpublished papers. It is unfortunate that so few are
          interested in writing about the semantics, history, and philosophy
          of Tolkien's linguistic creation. But I could of course just start
          myself, but who has the time these days ;-). BTW I loved you article
          on negation in Elvish - it had just that balance between grammatical
          analysis and historical perspective that makes an article
          entertaining as well as informative.

          > I'd check out Arden's article, but, you know, I gave my copy of
          > _Legendarium_ to Peter Jackson when I was in New Zealand...

          You did? Great! I sincerely hope he read it and saw some of the
          deeper levels of Tolkien's world. All in all I think Jackson and the
          rest of his team did a good job at catching the spirit of Middle-
          earth. Can I ask you what you think of the project, being in a
          position where you saw some of the process as well as (I believe)
          seen the final product? And what did you think of the Elvish (and
          other Tolkien-languages) in the movies? I'd love to hear an
          insider / expert opinion. Of course it could be great if others want
          to join the discussion as well and say what they think of the
          language-aspect of Jackson's _Lord of the Rings_.

          yours sincerely
          Peter Edelberg
        • jonathan_avidan
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2004
            > BTW I loved you article
            > on negation in Elvish - it had just that balance between
            grammatical
            > analysis and historical perspective that makes an article
            > entertaining as well as informative.

            Kotebh jonathan_avidan:

            Just this kind of articles, such as Bill's, is the purely external-
            diachronic perspective on Tolkien's artlangs which is so
            quintessential to our study yet is partially neglected. That may
            change as the times go by, however.