Re: [elfling-d] Re: Taliska - Mork and Hvendi

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 23, 2004
      Yes, Hvendi exists, and is related to (and, in the chronology of
      Tolkien's linguistic invention, contemporary with) Taliska. "Mork"
      (with or without a slash, umlaut, or silent q), however, exists only in
      the fevered imagination of Lisa Star -- as with many of her rantings.

    • jonathan_avidan
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2004
        Well that explains a great deal :) Taliska and Hvendi, two related
        Germanic-based works of art by Tolkien - it will be, I think, very
        profitable to learn of how Tolkien perceived their relation.
        However, I think it more important to have the context set out
        properly, as Carl mentioned.

        Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...> wrote:
        "Mork" (with or without a slash, umlaut, or silent q), however,
        exists only in
        the fevered imagination of Lisa Star -- as with many of her rantings.
      • falmarendur
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 25, 2004
          And is it possible, if copyright permits it, to know how it looks
          like, any word or phrase?
        • jonathan_avidan
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 26, 2004
            Well, Taliska, by name, testimony and few samples is slightly (or
            heavily?) Gothic based. In WJ:238, 270, 309 we find _hal_ "head,
            chief", _halbar_ "chieftain", _hal(a)_ "watch, guard",
            _halad_ "warden", _haldad_ "watchdog" and _bor_ "stone". In the
            Silmarillion, chp. 17, it is said that Beor's people (the speakers
            of Taliska) called him _Nóm_, "wisdom" and his people _Nómin_, "the
            wise". Helge concludes this might be the plural ending seen in
            various tongues of various stages by Tolkien, like Doriathrin,
            Ilkorin, Gnomish (btw, in Hebrew is beautifully called _Lilanith_
            which actually resembles the language itself!) and Rohirric (Helge
            mentioned only Dor. and Rohirric). However, this seems to be a
            simple adjectival ending by gloss and context. People are not
            called "wisdoms", yet "wise" can be used as a noun.

            Happy Israeli Independance Day!
            Khag shameakh,
            Jonathan Avidan.