Need help with Sindarin

  • elessar_nenuial
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2002
      1st Sentence:
      "O turdrif lasto beth nin, noro lim i bar le cuiant."
      O listen to my words, master of the skin, hurry to the flesh and
      bone thou once dwelt!

      Prob#1: "Turdrif" Tur+drif, master + skin?? I use the example of
      (Turambar, master of doom) Skin, is a word in question for me, since
      no such word is found, except by the reference of "fladrif", bark-
      (of)-skin. however, which is which is bark and which is skin, I
      don't know. the guess I used was fla-drif, considering perhaps fla is
      a root word from Quenya, since most words of quenya end with a vowel,
      however, I might have made a mistake on that issue, since fladrif is
      Sindarin, then perhaps flad-rif is more sensible, this is where I
      need help from u masters!! (if PARMA ELDALAMBERON society has
      published the answer for this, then it is great, but for now, I am
      irresolute at this.)

      Prob#2: "Noro Lim", there are different translations from different
      books; From Introduction to Elvish by Jim Allen, it is unclear, but
      he managed to say that "Noro" is more like hurrying, hastening,
      rushing; and "lim" is more like toward somewhere or something. While
      other online sources gave translation of "Ride on", according to
      Arwen's words in LOTR to her steed. However, "hurry to; or rushing
      on, could easily be translated into something befits that
      situation , like "ride on" Furthermore, Noro, could it be Nor+o?
      Since imperative works perfectly in this sentence. However, this is
      my personal opinion, please, correct me if I am wrong, or you could
      mention ur own opnions as well on this matter.

      Prob#3: "Cuiant", Cui as a root word for live, I derived it
      from "cuio = live", imperative form. then I modified it like this:
      Cui+ant: verb, live + past tense. But I wanted to know if there is a
      2nd person singular suffix to add behind the tense. Also, I am not
      so sure that the sentence structure of :"Noro lim i bar le cuiant" is

      prob#4: "bar", home, I meant to say: body, or host. However, seeing
      that there are no such words, or they are beyond my knowledge of
      vocabularies, I am trying really hard to resemble close to my
      meaning, however, if you experts out there know that word, please
      tell me, that would be a great help, or if you thought that my weak
      translation was fine, then tell me that as well, cause it would
      really lift that big stone off my chest.

      2nd Sentence:
      "beth o-chaered dulin le, edro ies thi!"
      Words from remote distance have come to you, now open it!

      Prob#1: "Beth" : From reading different translations, especially the
      ones from the lotr movie, there seems to have no plural form
      for "Word", is that possible? or beth is a special word like fish in
      english, which has no plural form? help out, Please!

      Prob#2: "Dul" (come) "Ies" (it) and "Thi" (now) . Ok, so I convert
      them from Quenya, "tul" "yes" and "si", . I am following the correct
      format I think, judging from how other Quenya words were transformed
      into Sindarin, but is it right? I have no idea. Can u tell me if his
      kind of convertion is OK? is there a restriction to that?

      Thanks for all you masters out there, helping me out, I am new at
      this, but very eager, if you have more information on elvish
      vocabularies/grammar, please tell me!