The biased "moderation" continues

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2004
      Helge Fauskanger writes:

      > As I understand it, [the "Editorial Team" sadly do perceive the
      > publication of the Catholic prayers as an unwanted interruption of
      > their masterplan proper, an interrruption supposedly "forced" upon
      > them by yours truly. All I can say is that if _I_ had received the
      > honor of publishing material doubling the available amount of
      > (LotR-era) Quenya text, I would not try to turn the honor into blame
      > and then shift it onto others.

      So in yet another stunning example of the "moderation" of Elfling,
      Helge Fauskanger is permitted to lodge yet another personal (and false)
      attack on others.

      The hypocrisy marches on.

    • Patrick H. Wynne
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2004
        Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        /elfling/message/29041,
        > Helge Fauskanger writes:
        >
        >> As I understand it, [the "Editorial Team" sadly do perceive the
        >> publication of the Catholic prayers as an unwanted interruption
        >> of their masterplan proper, an interrruption supposedly "forced"
        >> upon them by yours truly. All I can say is that if _I_ had received
        >> the honor of publishing material doubling the available amount
        >> of (LotR-era) Quenya text, I would not try to turn the honor into
        >> blame and then shift it onto others.
        >
        > So in yet another stunning example of the "moderation" of Elfling,
        > Helge Fauskanger is permitted to lodge yet another personal (and
        > false) attack on others.
        >
        > The hypocrisy marches on.

        Indeed. I once compared Elfling to a burning house I was being
        asked to re-enter. It would appear that the house is still burning
        nicely. "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire, we don't need no
        water, let the ..." etc.

        Both William Womack and Fauskanger both conveniently forget
        that BESIDE the chronological publication of Tolkien's manuscripts
        proceeding in Parma, for several years now VT has been dedicated
        to publishing Tolkien's _later_ writings. Or perhaps Womack and
        Fauskanger couldn't be bothered to notice --

        "From Quendi and Eldar, Appendix D" (VT 39)
        "Ósanwe-kenta: Enquiry into the Communication of Thought" (VT 39)
        "Etymological Notes on the Ósanwe-kenta" (VT 41)
        "From The Shibboleth of Feanor" (VT 41)
        "Notes on Óre" (VT 41)
        "The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor" (VT 42)
        "Negation in Quenya" (VT 42)
        "Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies, Part One (VT 45)

        -- with more to come.

        Don't presume to comment on our "masterplan", boys, unless
        you have some inkling of what it is.

        And since we are going to judge others by what we ourselves
        would do, then let me say this -- back in the days before I
        had permission to work on Tolkien's unpublished manuscripts,
        if _I_ had received a clandestine copy of an unpublished Tolkien
        text, I _never_ would have hired a lawyer and published that text in
        direct defiance of Christopher Tolkien's wishes.

        What a shameful thing to do. And yet Fauskanger presumes to
        judge the ethics of others.

        -- Patrick H. Wynne
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2004
          To extend upon what Pat has said, I would like to point out that the
          program of publication in _Vinyar Tengwar_ has for many issues now been
          devoted to publishing texts that _complements_ material already
          published in _The History of Middle-earth_ (much of it late, even very
          late). It was _this_ program of publication that was interrupted by the
          necessity of publishing Tolkien's translations of various Catholic
          prayers. As Helge has, once again and characteristically,
          misunderstood.