A final warning to Helge Fauskanger

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2004
      In light of his publication of a new version of his English to Quenya
      wordlist compilation, incorporating (by his own count) over 150
      quotations from part 1 of my and Pat Wynne's "Addenda and Corrigenda to
      the _Etymologies_" published in _Vinyar Tengwar_ 45, and his promised
      publication of its Quenya to English counterpart, I would as a courtesy
      like to re-issue this warning to Helge that I initially gave on Dec. 19
      of last year, and which Helge has once again ignored:

      "You are under both a _scholarly_ and a _legal_ obligation to credit
      the authors of work that you use in your own. Leaving it to the
      guesswork of your readers does not meet this obligation. The wordlists
      that you compile _depend_ on (_inter alia_) the work that Pat and I
      published in _VT_ 45, and as such, you are obligated to credit us by
      name. Avoiding mentioning my and Pat's name in your "review" was only
      weird and hypocritical; failing to mention our names in your wordlists,
      and anywhere else where you use our work in your own, is a violation of
      scholarship and of copyright."

      This, Helge, will be the final warning you receive. The next
      communication you receive on this matter will come via an attorney. You
      have no right to appropriate my and Pat's work without proper credit,
      nor do you have the right to republish our work, even in reorganized
      fashion, without permission.

      Carl Hostetter

      cc:/ Cathleen Blackburn