72Re: Moderatorial bias/hypocrisy/inconsistency on Elfling

    Jun 3, 2003
      In Elfling message 25252
      (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/25252>) Hans-Juergen
      Fischer replies to a query regarding the policy of banning on Elfling,
      by noting another example of managerial bias, in the form of a
      particularly egregious posting that nonetheless resulted not in the
      poster being banned (as I was for simply stating the plain truth of
      Helge's knee-jerk reaction to seeing my name on a post), nor the
      offending post being removed from the archives (as was mine), but only
      a warning. The offending post is message 5969 (<
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/5969>), in which yours
      truly and my colleagues are called, _inter alia_) a "bunch of lunatics"
      and incompetent editors. David Salo's tepid "warning" is in message
      5971.

      What explains the vast discrepancy between offense and response in this
      case and my own? Two factors: 1) the poster of this message was Edouard
      Kloczko, then a useful ally of David Salo, Lisa Star, and Helge
      Fauskanger; and 2) David Salo agrees with the sentiment expressed, even
      if grudgingly bound by the political necessity of appearing at least
      _marginally_ principled to issue a rebuke for "unparliamentary
      language".

      Now that Edouard has apparently had a change of heart, and has stopped
      toeing the Salovian/Fauskagerian/Stellar party line with respect to
      Tolkienian linguistics -- thus ending his political usefulness to them
      -- it is interesting to observe a somewhat different response to his
      words from those parties, including _actual_ "moderation" of his posts
      (as Edouard notes in his farewell address to Elfling, in message
      23720), and public rebukes from both Helge and Lisa (see her misnomered
      "ElvishLinguistics" list -- if you can get in: this self-proclaimed
      champion of free speech prohibits folks who don't agree with her from
      joining the list, and has hidden the list archives from public view --
      and do a search on "laurifindil", Edouard's recent nom-de-plume).

      The lessons to be drawn from this are: so long as you are useful to
      them, and say things they agree with and/or they find politically
      useful, no matter how outrageous, Salo/Fauskanger/Star will permit your
      presence and your every (useful) word. But disagree with them, or find
      yourself in a position of having what they want but you cannot give,
      and you will be turned on in a heartbeat, and become fair game for all
      attacks.