38

    May 17, 2003
      Helge Fauskanger writes
      (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/24909>):

      > As years and decades pass by, we cling to the hope that more material
      > will actually be published one day; our
      > grandchildren may yet see a complete Quenya pronoun table.

      Can Helge truly be unaware that a "complete Quenya pronoun table" has
      already been published, in _Vinyar Tengwar_ 43 (p. 29; you can download
      the issue of _VT_ in question at:
      http://www.elvish.org/VT/sample.html )?

      Of course, it may be that by "complete Quenya pronoun table" he means
      one that includes all the forms _he_ favors as "valid" in the synthetic
      "mature Quenya" he has been devising. But since no such Quenya ever
      existed, it is likely that Tolkien never wrote any such pronoun table
      that would satisfy his prejudices. Indeed, what Tolkien left is a long
      string of variant pronoun charts, each of which, to the extent that it
      represents a different conceptual stage, strictly speaking belongs to a
      different "Quenya".