25Re: "Making a big splash": On David Salo's "scholarship"

    Jan 29, 2003
      On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 01:24 PM, Mark A Miles wrote:

      > Carl,
      >> The link I gave to Dorothea Salo's disdainful statements on copyright
      >> and false statements concerning the Tolkien Estate's rights is
      >> broken. The correct URL is:
      > <snip>
      > Bear in mind though, that she didn't actually say the rights were
      > broken;

      Neither did I. I said the _link_ I gave to Dorothea's statements was

      > she said someone else said it, viz.: "under arguments put forth by
      > some folks with close ties to the Tolkien Estate, all that lovely
      > Elvish in the Lord of the Rings movies would have been considered a
      > massive copyright violation".

      Which is utterly false. No one (at least, none of the "folks" Dorothea
      clearly has in mind) has argued that such use of Tolkien's invented
      languages as is made in the movies would violate copyright (except, as
      I have _now_ discussed, possibly the issue of the usage that the
      derivative rights owned by Zaentz et al. may permit or prohibit).
      Dorothea is once again misrepresenting the actual positions of others
      to serve her own political agenda.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic