20[elfling-d] Re: Physician, heal thyself: on David Salo's "scholarship"

    Dec 1, 2002
      P.S. I have just noticed that Dorothea Salo, supernally averse to
      self-promotion, nonetheless alerted the hugely-popular movie-related
      web site, TheOneRing.net, to her web-log account of what she has called
      "The Khuzdul Incident", thereby ensuring that untold thousands, who
      would otherwise have not seen or not heeded it, will become aware of
      the distorted, erroneous, and mocking portrait of Bill Welden and
      Tolkienian linguists that she and the WETA design-team commentators
      have been pedaling. She has today even proudly trumpeted the increased
      exposure to her web-log and to the portrait that has resulted. And in
      characteristic Saloian fashion, she has publicly posted Bill Welden's
      private communication to her, without his permission and in clear
      violation of Bill's copyright. (At least Bill's recitation of the facts
      and his exemplary and greatly contrastive tone therein will hardly
      serve the Salo's purposes.)

      I won't be holding my breath for any equally public and promoted
      retraction or apology (or any retraction or apology at all) from either
      Dorothea or David, despite their surely genuine concerns for truth,
      fact-checking, and public perceptions of Tolkienian linguists and
      linguistics.