199Re: The biased "moderation" continues

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Mar 7, 2004
      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      /elfling/message/29041,
      > Helge Fauskanger writes:
      >
      >> As I understand it, [the "Editorial Team" sadly do perceive the
      >> publication of the Catholic prayers as an unwanted interruption
      >> of their masterplan proper, an interrruption supposedly "forced"
      >> upon them by yours truly. All I can say is that if _I_ had received
      >> the honor of publishing material doubling the available amount
      >> of (LotR-era) Quenya text, I would not try to turn the honor into
      >> blame and then shift it onto others.
      >
      > So in yet another stunning example of the "moderation" of Elfling,
      > Helge Fauskanger is permitted to lodge yet another personal (and
      > false) attack on others.
      >
      > The hypocrisy marches on.

      Indeed. I once compared Elfling to a burning house I was being
      asked to re-enter. It would appear that the house is still burning
      nicely. "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire, we don't need no
      water, let the ..." etc.

      Both William Womack and Fauskanger both conveniently forget
      that BESIDE the chronological publication of Tolkien's manuscripts
      proceeding in Parma, for several years now VT has been dedicated
      to publishing Tolkien's _later_ writings. Or perhaps Womack and
      Fauskanger couldn't be bothered to notice --

      "From Quendi and Eldar, Appendix D" (VT 39)
      "Ósanwe-kenta: Enquiry into the Communication of Thought" (VT 39)
      "Etymological Notes on the Ósanwe-kenta" (VT 41)
      "From The Shibboleth of Feanor" (VT 41)
      "Notes on Óre" (VT 41)
      "The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor" (VT 42)
      "Negation in Quenya" (VT 42)
      "Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies, Part One (VT 45)

      -- with more to come.

      Don't presume to comment on our "masterplan", boys, unless
      you have some inkling of what it is.

      And since we are going to judge others by what we ourselves
      would do, then let me say this -- back in the days before I
      had permission to work on Tolkien's unpublished manuscripts,
      if _I_ had received a clandestine copy of an unpublished Tolkien
      text, I _never_ would have hired a lawyer and published that text in
      direct defiance of Christopher Tolkien's wishes.

      What a shameful thing to do. And yet Fauskanger presumes to
      judge the ethics of others.

      -- Patrick H. Wynne
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic