Vitamin K could keep calcium in bones and out of arteries...

  • mbgupta@uwo.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 14, 2002
      Thanks Kallie and Owen, did you know that vitamin K is banned by Health
      Canada???

      http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2000/feb00-report.html

      Chris Gupta

    • Kristin Haywood
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2002
        Any idea why Vitamin K is banned by Health Canada? Is there a toxic dose or
        something?

      • Brian McInturff
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2002
          > Any idea why Vitamin K is banned by Health Canada? Is there a toxic dose or
          > something?

          I would think that too much would increase
          the risk of
          clotting, but Murray's Encylopedia of Nutritional
          Supplements states that there is no toxic
          amount of K1. 100% RDA is less than
          100mcg. Eating 100g of kale provides 730mcg,
          100g spinach 415mcg, 100g lettuce 130mcg,
          100g green peas 19mcg. Supplements usually
          come in a 500mcg to 5mg dose.

          turf

        • Kristin Haywood
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 15, 2002
            Weird that anyone would ban it. My lifelong vegetarian husband who doesn't
            eat vegetables unless I put them in front of him used to get spontaneous
            nosebleeds. My ND suggested he supplement Vitamin K. He took one/day until
            the bottle was gone and the nosebleeds stopped. Then after a year or so of
            not taking it, he'll get nosebleeds again, get another bottle of Vit. K, and
            they stop.

            Does Vit. K survive the cooking process?