October 2002 - Volume 9 Issue 10

  • Wilkerson, Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2002
      E.l.e.c.t.r.i.c D.r.e.a.m.s

      Subscribe: electric-dreams-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe Online:

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      E.l.e.c.t.r.i.c D.r.e.a.m.s

      Volume #9 Issue #11

      October 2002

      ISSN# 1089 4284

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      http://www.dreamgate.com/electric-dreams

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      Download a cover for this issue!
      http://www.dreamgate.com/dream/ed-covers

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      C O N T E N T S

      ++ Editor's Notes
      Special Issue: N.I.G.H.T.M.A.R.E.S

      ++ The Global Dreaming News
      Events - Updates - Reviews - More
      From Peggy Coats - www.DreamTree.com

      ++ Column: An Excerpt From the Lucid Dream Exchange
      By Lucy Gillis

      ++ Article: Matching Troublesome Nightmares
      With Appropriate Action
      By Linda Lane Magallón

      ++ Article: National Nightmare Hotline : Year Two
      Jill Fischer

      ++ Article: Nightmares and Dreamwork Resources Online
      Summary of ASD Nightmare Page
      By Richard Wilkerson

      ++ Article: Nightmares! New Approaches
      By Richard Catlett Wilkerson

      ++ Article: Becoming Nightmare: the Rhizomatics of Dreaming
      By Richard Catlett Wilkerson

      D R E A M S S E C T I O N : Volume #528 - #569
      With Elizabeth Westlake and Harry Bosma

      D E A D L I N E :
      Oct 16th deadline for November 2002 submissions

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      Post Dreams and Comments on Dreams to:
      http://www.dreamgate.com/dream/temple

      Send Dreaming News and Calendar Events to:
      Peggy Coats <web@...>

      Send Articles and Subscription concerns to:
      Richard Wilkerson: <rcwilk@...>

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      Editor's Notes

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      Welcome to the October 2002 issue of Electric Dreams, your portal to dreams
      and dreaming online. This month, a special NIGHTMARE issue.

      If you are new to dreams and dreaming, please join us on
      dreamchatters@yahoogroups.com and we will guide you to the resources you
      need. To join send an e to
      dreamchatters-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      As you probably noticed, the Dream Section now looks
      ~fantastic~. Why? Because we have a Dream Section Editor, Elizabeth
      Westlake!
      If you have dreams you want published, don't send them to her directly, but
      rather enter them in the form at
      http://www.dreamgate.com/dream/temple
      Or you can put them in the dream flow directly by subscribing
      to: dream-flow-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Our news directory, Peggy Coats, from dreamtree.com, has gathered dreaming
      news from around the world. In the Global Dreaming News you will find the
      latest dream and dreamwork events, conferences, and seminars. Also you will
      find research and research requests for subject, updates on your favorite
      dream websites, book reviews and more. If you have news items about dreams
      and dreaming for Peggy, send them to her at web@...

      Our NIGHTMARE special starts off with a new column from Lucy Gillis and
      Jorge Conesa on "Sleep Paralysis Sensations: Echoes of Body Re-Entry
      Problems?" If you have ever awaken and been frozen in bed, you will know
      why this is included in the nightmare section.

      Linda Lane Magallón challenges some of the over-used metaphorical
      approaches to nightmares and opens the door to a wide variety of other
      causes than haunting psychological problems. Be sure to read "Matching
      Troublesome Nightmares With Appropriate Action."

      It has now been a year since the National Nightmare Hotline went into
      operation. Director Jill Fischer gives us an update and a chance for you to
      participate as a volunteer. Read "National Nightmare Hotline : Year Two."

      If you are a dreamworker and feel you need more training in working with
      nightmares, you will really enjoy my summary in "Nightmares! New
      Approaches" and the full ASD selection of articles by the worlds most
      renowned authorities, linked direct for instant access or organized study.

      For those of you who want either good quick advice on nightmares or
      in-depth and more challenging articles, you will enjoy my summary of the
      ASD Nightmare Page which we created a year ago. I talk about some of the
      resources there from some of the biggest players in the field.

      If you have been wondering if we spend too much time treating nightmares
      and perhaps not appreciating them, you will get a thrill out the re-run of
      my article "Becoming Nightmare: the Rhizomatics of Dreaming."

      The Annual Halloween Dream Swarm. Well, I don't have any specific
      activities planned, but as usual, this month I will be knocking on your
      cyberdoor to get updates about your dream websites. So load up your new
      materials and send me the scoop, or Dreambat may be visiting to haunt you!

      We don't send the cover with the e-zine, but you can view, download and
      print up a copy anytime at:
      http://www.dreamgate.com/dream/ed-covers/

      --------------------

      For those of you who are new to dreams and dreaming, be sure to stop by one
      of the many resources:
      http://www.dreamtree.com
      http://www.dreamgate.com/electric-dreams
      http://www.dreamgate.com/dream/library

      --------------------

      Next Month: Aftermath of the PsiberDreaming Conference: What's new in Psi
      dreaming? Deadline for articles, Oct 11th. Send to rcwilk@...

      -Richard Wilkerson

      ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      G L O B A L D R E A M I N G N E W S

      October 2002

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      If you have news you'd like to share, contact Peggy Coats,
      web@.... Visit Global Dreaming News online at
      http://www.dreamtree.com/

      This Month's Features:

      NEWS

      - New Research on Black/White vs. Color Dreams

      - Dream/Art Weekend offered by Kathleen Sullivan
      - Autodrama and Creative Dream Re-Staging

      - ASD's PsiberDreaming Conference

      - Meeting Psyche: A Jungian Approach to Dreams

      - Dreaming and Awakening in Paradise: Lucid Dreams Retreat

      - Awakening to the Wisdom of The Dream

      - Dreaming Beyond Borders

      - Exploring Dream Space with Marie Volchenko

      - Marin Institute for Projective Dreamwork

      - Get your Dreams on T.V. in LA Area

      - Dreamscape: Smithsonian Institute Conference on Dreaming

      - ASD Dream Conference in Atlanta, Georgia

      - SCI FI Channel is looking for guests to tell their dreams

      - ASD Regional in Bay Area : Dreaming Beyond Borders

      - The Manhattan Dreamwork Seminars &
      Cambridge Dreamwork Intensives
      A Training in Embodied Dreamwork

      RESEARCH & REQUESTS

      - Dreams about Islam

      - Dreams that Have Inspired Wondrous Joy

      WEBSITE & ONLINE UPDATES

      - Dreams and CRC Theory

      - Dream Interpetations from YieldofDreams

      DREAM CALENDAR for October 2002

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      N E W S

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      >>> New Research on Black and White vs. Color Dreams

      Do People Still Report Dreaming in Black and White? An Attempt to Replicate
      a Questionnaire from 1942
      In the 1940's and 1950's, many people in the United States appear to have
      thought they dreamed in black and white. For example, Middleton (1942)
      found 70.7% of college sophomores to report "rarely" or "never" seeing
      colors in their dreams. I attempted to replicate Middleton's questionnaire
      and found that students in 2001 reported much more colored dreaming than
      their earlier counterparts, only 17.7% saying that they "rarely" or "never"
      see colors in their dreams. Assuming that dreams themselves have not
      changed over this time period, one or the other (or both) groups of
      students must be profoundly mistaken about a basic feature of their dream
      experiences.

      Why Did We Think We Dreamed in Black and White?
      In the 1950's, dream researchers commonly thought that dreams were
      predominantly a black and white phenomenon, although both earlier and later
      treatments of dreaming presume or assert that dreams have color. The first
      half of the twentieth century saw the rise of black and white film media,
      and it is likely that the emergence of the view that dreams are black and
      white was connected with this change in media technology. If our opinions
      about basic features of our dreams can change with changes in technology,
      it seems to follow that our knowledge of the phenomenology of our own
      dreams is much less secure than we might at first have thought it to be.
      For more information, contact:

      Eric Schwitzgebel
      Department of Philosophy - 065
      University of California
      Riverside, CA 92521-0201
      http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~eschwitz

      >>> Dream/Art Weekend offered by Kathleen Sullivan
      October 26 & 27, 2002
      Dreams, the soul's gold, bring light to the journey of everyday life. Five
      times a night dreams encourage healing of the past and provide direction
      for the future, always leading to wholeness. In order to avoid the
      pitfalls of mistaken literalism, the symbolic and metaphoric language of
      the dream must be understood. This two-day workshop will provide the tools
      necessary to clearly see the brilliance of your nightly gems. You will
      focus on one or two of your dreams applying the techniques to understand
      symbols and metaphors, story line and therapeutic value of these loving
      messages from your unconscious. Through lecture and art activities, working
      in small group and with partners, the approaches you learn will help you
      understand your future dreams. Cost: $165 includes 2 continental
      breakfasts, a gourmet lunch Saturday, light lunch Sunday. Hor d oeuvres
      will accompany the private wine tasting and dream art reception Sunday at
      2:00 PM. When: Saturday, Oct. 26 (10:00 to 4:00) and Sunday, Oct. 27 (10:00
      to 2:00). Where: The beautiful Sogno Winery in Shingle Springs, CA. 3046
      Ponderosa Rd. (530) 672-6968 Call Kathleen Sullivan at 831-372-8534 or
      email dremwvr@... for reservations before October 10.

      >>> Autodrama and Creative Dream Restaging
      November 16 &17 Amersfoort Holland
      Exploring the imagery of Dreams and Problem Solving with Ann Sayre Wiseman.
      A way to deepen understanding of the metaphors
      of the night mind. Contact: herminemensink@... or visit
      www.annsayrewiseman.com

      >>> Announcing ASD's First Online PsiberDreaming Conference

      Join some of the world's foremost experts on the subject of Psi dreaming
      for two weeks of cutting-edge papers, discussions, workshops, and chats. If
      you've ever had a precognitive dream, a lucid dream, or simply an 'unusual
      dream' that never quite made sense, this is the place for you. For two
      weeks, from September 22, 2002 to October 6, 2002, participants worldwide
      will enjoy online experiments, psiber games with prizes, chats, and
      discussions on paranormal dreaming in the shared meeting space of virtual
      reality. All for $25 or less for ASD members! Register before August 31st
      and receive an additional $5 off conference fees. And if you don't belong
      to ASD, join ASD as a new member from August 10 - October 6 and as a bonus
      get a free pass to the Psiber Conference! For more information on this
      historic event, go to: http://asdreams.org/psi2002/

      >>> Meeting Psyche: A Jungian Approach to Dreams

      In our dream life, every aspect of our personality takes its turn on the
      stage that opens with sleep. Our nobler qualities and shadow side, our
      aspirations and fears, our troubling fixations and undeveloped potentials
      all strive to communicate their natures and purposes as they seek to find
      expression within our unique selves. This course, designed for both new
      and continuing students of Jungian psychology, will present and explore the
      basic concepts and dynamics of a Jungian approach to dream theory and
      interpretation. Participants willing to share dream material are asked to
      bring clearly written copies of their dreams to class. Basic
      journal-writing and image-making exercises will be
      used to amplify dream material. C. G. Jung Institute, 1567 Maple Ave,
      Evanston, IL 60201. Phone: 847-475-4848 or 800-697-7696. email:
      jung@...
      web: www.jungchicago.org

      >>> Dreaming and Awakening in Paradise

      A 10-day Residential Training Program in Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream
      Yoga with Stephen LaBerge and Friends. Kalani, Hawaii, November 1-10, 2002

      Rejuvenate body and mind. Awaken to your inner life. Stop sleeping through
      your dreams. Join us in exploring the boundless frontiers of the dream
      world in a setting of glorious natural beauty. Nurtured by the paradisical,
      dream-like environment on the sunny secluded Puna Coast of the island of
      Hawaii, we will cast off our blinders, drop the shackles of our ordinary
      routines, and take a fresh look at what is real and what is dream. Becoming
      adept at lucid dreaming requires focused attention and practice that is
      difficult to maintain during our busy lives. This retreat provides an ideal
      opportunity to devote time to cultivating your lucid dreaming ability and
      enhancing your mindfulness in everyday life, using the most effective
      techniques and technology, derived from Tibetan dream yoga and Western
      science. Although we cannot guarantee that everyone will have (and
      remember) a lucid dream during the program, in past years, most
      participants have done so, and all have experienced enhanced awareness of
      the dreamlike nature of "reality."

      The retreat includes: Ten days and nine nights of balanced fun and focus on
      consciousness, dreaming and awakening at the beautiful, dream-inspiring
      Kalani Oceanside Retreat Center on the Big Island of Hawaii; Daily group
      and individual exercises in developing lucid dreaming skills and enhancing
      consciousness, dreaming and waking; Valuable insight into the application
      of lucidity and mindfulness to all aspects of life; sleep schedule
      (including naps) optimized for the promotion of lucid dreams; Use of lucid
      dream induction technology; Discussion sessions and personal guidance by
      Dr. Stephen LaBerge, world-renowned expert on lucid dreaming; and dreams,
      dreams, and more dreams!

      FEES: Standard rate, US$2000, includes room and board. Space is extremely
      limited; a non-refundable deposit of US$200 will reserve you a place in the
      program until September 15, when the balance is due. SCHOLARSHIPS:
      Contingent upon space availability, we plan to offer several scholarships
      providing reduced fees, as determined by demonstrated financial need and
      merit. If you would like to attend this program, but feel the cost is
      beyond your means, fill out the form
      at http://www.lucidity.com/DAAK02/scholarship.html FOR INFORMATION OR TO
      REGISTER http://www.lucidity.com/DAAK02 CALL: +1 650 321-9969 or 1 800 GO
      LUCID (1 800 465-8243)EMAIL: daak02f@...

      >>> Awakening to the Wisdom of the Dream: November 2, Atlanta, GA.
      Learn to use your dreams for a deeper self-understanding, leading to
      greater life fulfillment. Explore the use of dreams throughout history.
      Examine creativity and problem solving through dreams. Discover how dreams
      can be used for health, healing, personal growth and as a guide through
      life's passages. Presenters include Deirdre Barrett, Robert Van de Castle,
      Rita Dwyer and Justina Lasley. Light lunch included. Cost: $80 general
      public/ $65 ASD members. Registration: www.emory.edu/eve. after Sept. 6.
      For further info, contact Justina at P.O.Box 52323, Atlanta, GA, 30355,
      E-mail drmkpr@... or Tallulah Lyons, 3082 Old Cabin Lane, Smyrna, GA
      30080, e-mail blyons@...( 9:30 AM-4:30PM)

      >>> ASD Regional in Bay Area : Dreaming Beyond Borders

      Dreaming Beyond Borders: The Transformative Power of Dreams

      November 2 and 3, 2002
      John F. Kennedy University
      Orinda, California

      A Regional Conference of The Association for the Study
      of Dreams
      Sponsored by the Dream Studies Certificate Program,
      Graduate School of Holistic Studies

      Through the ages, dreams have been a source of creative inspiration,
      personal growth, problem solving and spiritual insight. While the twentieth
      century was marked by important discoveries about the unconscious and the
      dreaming mind, the turn of the millennium is giving us the opportunity to
      reflect and envision a new dream for the advancement of human
      consciousness. What archetypes are embodied at this historical moment and
      what transformations are possible through dreams? Could dream awareness
      lead us to global peace? How might dreams be a catalyst for social change?
      This conference will address these important possibilities.

      For complete conference information, including presentation descriptions,
      call 925.258.1822 or visit
      http://www.ASDreams.org/2002orinda.

      One-day registration fees for either Saturday,
      November 2 or Sunday, November 3 are:

      $125 General, $100 ASD Member, $75 Student, $60 ASD Student Member.

      Two-day registration fees are:

      $225 General, $180 ASD Member, $135 Student, $110 ASD Student Member.

      To register by phone, please call 925-254-0105.

      To register by mail, visit:

      http://www.ASDreams.org/2002orinda to download and print a registration form.

      >>> Exploring Dream Space with Maria Volchenko, Ph.D.
      Saturday and Sunday, September 7-8, 2002, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
      3220 Sacramento, upper floor, San Francisco. Parking on the first floor.
      Please, register early by sending a check of Eighty Dollars ($80), written
      to Ruth-Inge Heinze, to 2321 Russell St. #3C, Berkeley, CA 94705-1959. For
      information, phone (510) 849-2791 or e-mail RIHeinze@...

      >>>Marin Institute for Projective Dream Work

      Dream Work Certificate Program. The program features weekend work in San
      Rafael, CA with Jeremy Taylor; pay as you go; take as long as you need; and
      small groups. "Projective dream work assumes that thoughts we have about
      the dreams of others reflect our own internal lives. When we comment on
      someone else's dream we're really saying `if it were my dream....'" (Jeremy
      Taylor). For more information, visit http://www.jeremytaylor.com/marin.htm

      >>> Get your Dreams on T.V. in LA Area

      The Berman sisters (a medical doctor and a psychologist) have a TV
      show and are planning an episode on dreaming. They are looking for
      dreamers who live in the L.A. area. If you live in that area and have
      some interesting dreams that have influenced your life, contact
      Laurie Dash at (818) 755-4800 ext. 170. You may have a chance to
      be on television!

      http://health.discovery.com/fansites/bermans/bermans.html

      >>> Dreamscape: Smithsonian Institute Conference on Dreaming

      Dreamscape: The Intelligence and Creativity of Your Dreaming Brain

      SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE Washington DC. Saturday, Oct. 5, 10 am - 4 pm

      Richard E. Cytowic, MD Annette Covatta, DMA

      FINDING MEANING and creative ideas in our lives can be elusive. Who would
      think that dreams might point the way? Learn how dreams arise and how they
      help us solve problems creatively.

      Avoiding the Freudian psychoanalytic approach to dreams, this intriguing
      seminar draws on current neurological research about the origin and
      function of dreams. Learn techniques to make dream symbols objective and
      bring their relevance to the surface, and discover how dreams can be
      sources of self­reflection and creative discovery.

      To register phone 202­357­3030, or visit Smithsonian Institution (
      http://residentassociates.org/com/brain.asp ) for a full catalogue description.

      Richard E. Cytowic, MD
      Washington DC 20011
      e: R@...
      http://cytowic.net

      Schedule

      10 ­ 11 am: Brainstorm: A Tour of Sleepers and Dreaming Brains

      Dreaming consumes much energy and therefore serves a biologically useful
      purpose. Within the 24 hour wake­sleep cycle the dream­state generator
      cycles every 90 minutes, yet we usually remain unaware of our literal
      daydreaming and rarely remember our nighttime dreams. We examine the 16
      dream­state periods in a typical Washingtonian day.

      Time­lapse photos of sleepers reveal much about internal brain
      states. Biological clocks develop stable tempos with one another, and thus
      two brain rhythms can synchronize such that two people literally "sleep
      together." We conclude with current notions of what function dreams serve.

      11 ­ Noon: Remembering and Recording your Dreams

      Ways to greatly increase dream recall; how lucid dreaming lets us direct
      our own dream narratives; keeping a dream diary to make objective what is
      inherently symbolic.

      Dreams pull on both intellect and imagination, seeming to relate to
      something important. But what? What are our dreams pointing to? The first
      step to finding out is a factual recapitulation in a log. In the afternoon,
      we extend and examine these fleeting images.

      12:15 ­ 1:45 Lunch

      1:45 ­ 2:45 Dreamscape: Techniques of Reverie to Evoke Images

      Once we log the factual data, we proceed with a neutral evocative technique
      to stimulate insights and creative thoughts. A non­analytical approach
      avoids the pitfalls of preconceived ideas common to Freudian analysis. In
      order to connect life's inner threads of continuity to the outer level of
      experience, you want to evoke the psyche rather than analyze it.

      Attendees should bring a notebook and brief descriptions of 1 or 2 dreams
      they may wish to explore.

      2:45 ­ 4 p.m. The Creative Use of Dream Images

      Dream­enlargement techniques bring the dream experience into the waking
      state so that we can examine our patterns of symbolic thinking from the
      vantage point of the present moment, and get fresh ideas to work with.
      Dream and reverie images are inherently creative, solving problems on a
      subconscious "twilight" level. In bringing our images' underlying
      intelligence to the surface, we experience our dreams as sources of
      self­reflection, inner guidance, and creative discovery.

      >>> ASD Dream Conference in Atlanta, Georgia

      Awaken to the Wisdom of Dreams

      Saturday, November 2, 2002
      9:30am-4:30pm
      Emory University

      Enjoy a day of dreaming with some of the foremost leaders in the field of
      dreams. Be part of the first Southeastern event co-sponsored by the
      Association for the Study of Dreams and the Center for Lifelong Learning at
      Emory University

      · Learn to use your dreams for a deeper self-understanding, leading to
      greater life fulfillment.
      · Explore the use of dreams throughout history.
      · Examine creativity and problem solving through dreams.
      · Discover how dreams can aid health, healing, personal growth and guide
      you through life's passages.
      · Experience a dream group and learn to make meaning of your dreams.
      · Enjoy a selection of books on dreams which will be available for sale.

      The Association for the Study of Dreams is an international,
      interdisciplinary, educational association.

      To secure a place, register soon!!

      Register on-line (secure) at www.emory.edu/eve (Master Card and Visa), by
      phone at 404-727-6000 from 9-4 (EST), or mail in registration form.
      $80 complimentary lunch (vegetarian, too) $65 for ASD members (join at
      ASDreams.org)
      You will be notified of conference location after registration

      For more information contact:

      Justina Lasley at DrmKpr@... or 233 South Plaza Court, Mt. Pleasant,
      SC 29464
      Tallulah Lyons at blyons@... or 3082 Old Cabin Lane, Smyrna, GA
      30080

      >>> SCI FI Channel is looking for guests to tell their dreams

      Calling all dreamers! The SCI FI Channel is looking for guests for their
      new series, "The Dream Team with Annabelle and Michael." All you have to
      do is call or e-mail us with your dream (be sure to include your name and
      phone number), and you might be picked for a personal dream analysis on the
      show! Guests will be featured live in studio, via satellite, and by phone.
      Please call 323.520.5683 or email tvdreams02@...
      And pleasant dreams...

      >>> The Manhattan Dreamwork Seminars &
      Cambridge Dreamwork Intensives
      A Training in Embodied Dreamwork

      Dreamwork Seminars: September 21 through June 14 (See Schedule)

      Cambridge intensives : October 3-6, 2002 :: June 5-8, 2003

      The Manhattan Dreamwork Seminars:
      A Training in Embodied Dreamwork

      Since 1972, Zurich-trained Jungian analyst Robert Bosnak has led dream
      groups and explored dreaming with individuals, in both analytical and
      didactic contexts, developing a new method called embodied dreamwork. This
      technique is based on principles first developed by C.G. Jung, especially
      in his work on alchemy, and on the work of James Hillman, who focused on
      soul as a simultaneous multiplicity of autonomous states.
      By using a variety of body-oriented techniques, embodied dreamwork allows
      the dreamer to flashback into the dream, in order to experience and relive
      the dream in hypnagogic awareness, a state of consciousness occurring
      naturally during sleep-onset. By working on dreams (and memories) in this
      way, personal as well as archetypal, emotional and physical elements are
      uncovered, frequently leading to vivid therapeutic effects and bursts of
      creativity.

      Embodied dreamwork is effective in psychotherapy (individually or in
      groups,) psychosomatics, and in work with patients suffering from severe
      physical illness. It has also been used effectively to enhance the work of
      actors, directors, visual artists and writers.

      The Manhattan Dreamwork Seminars have been held since 1998. They offer
      individual day-long seminars, as well as a two-year training program in
      individual and group dreamwork (leading to a certificate as dreamwork
      practitioner).

      In order to qualify for training, some individual seminars are required.

      Presently all seminars are lead by Robert Bosnak, currently president of
      the international Association for the Study of Dreams, and author of: A
      Little Course in Dreams(Shambhala pub. 1989); Tracks in the Wilderness
      of Dreaming; and Christopher's Dreams -- Dreaming with an AIDS-patient .

      Fees & Information
      Manhattan Dreamwork Seminars: 9:30am-5pm, $130/day.

      Location of all Dreamwork Seminars:
      The 17th Street Loft
      206 West 17h Street (corner of 7th Avenue)
      9th floor
      New York City, NY.

      Cambridge intensives: (Max. 12)
      October 3-6, 2002 :: June 5-8, 2003
      Cambridge Intensives:
      Thursday 7:30 pm- Sunday 4pm
      $540 Tuition for the long weekend.

      Location of Cambridge intensives:
      Episcopal Divinity School :: 99 Brattle Street (near Harvard Square)
      On Campus location: 10 St. John's Road, unless otherwise notified.
      Cambridge, MA 02138

      ORDER FORM REQUEST: Send to Robert Bosnak <rbosnak@...> and
      request a form for mail in or visit the website
      http://www.cyberdreamwork.com

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      R E S E A R C H & R E Q U E S T S

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      >>> Dream Survey : Are you having dreams about Islam?
      http://dreamgate.com/dreamsofislam/

      We are two Western Muslims, a British educator and an American writer, who
      are interested both in how dreams relate to the spiritual life, and in how
      Islam is presently perceived by Muslims and non-Muslims both in the west
      and in traditionally Muslim lands. We hope to collaborate on a book with
      the provisional title of Dreams of Islam. We are looking for striking or
      significant dreams about Islam from both Muslims and non-Muslims, dreams
      which have had a strong impact on you the dreamer, whether or not you think
      the content would seem "interesting" to an outsider. The Islamic content
      could refer to people, events, places, beliefs, practices, symbols,
      memories or associations, architecture, works of art, written or spoken
      words - anything specifically Islamic, or with an Islamic flavor.

      You can fill out the survey at the website, or download the questions:
      http://dreamgate.com/dreamsofislam/ . For more information, contact Charles
      Upton : E-mail uptonjenny@...

      >>> Dreams that Have Inspired Wondrous Joy

      I am gathering descriptions of dreams by a dream conversation, an
      awe-inspiring setting, a melody, a beautiful painting, or a joyful
      encounter with an animal. Your dream may have inspired wondrous joy through
      a delicious taste, a soul-energizing touch, a scent that overwhelms you
      with delight, a sound that soothes ... a color that enchants you ... Fully
      describe your own and others' feelings during the dream. Please include
      permission to use your dream descriptions in my research and writing
      projects. I also need your age, gender, race, nationality, and if possible,
      the background events and feelings that preceded your inspiring dream. I
      don't need your name and identifying information will be changed to ensure
      anonymity. One of the additional purposes of this research is to provide a
      source of inspiring dream images fro artists, writers, musicians, dancers,
      etc. Contact: Karen Boileau
      dreamofjoy@... . Karen F. Boileau, M.Ed., is a writer, community
      education instructor, dream counselor, and workshop facilitator. Karen has
      written several workbooks for her dream workshops and courses: "Artists
      Dreaming Joy"; "What Did You Dream Last Night?"; "Lose Weight Using
      Right-Brain Techniques"; and, "Stress, Dreams, and Intuition."

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      W E B S I T E & O N L I N E U P D A T E S

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      Do you know of interesting new websites you'd like to share with others? Or
      do you have updates to existing pages? Help spread the word by using the
      Electric Dreams DREAM-LINK page
      www.dreamgate.com/dream/resources/online97.htm. This is really a public
      projects board and requires that everyone keep up his or her own link URLs
      and information. Make a point to send changes to the links page to us.

      >>> Dreams and CRC Theory
      http://www.mediaproxy.com/crc/crc.htm

      Michael Coop presents speculations on his general CRC theory
      (Comprehension, Rationalisation & Conclusion, the mechanisms by
      which people recognize and respond to their surroundings) using dreams and
      dreaming for illustration and example.

      >>> Dream Interpetations from YieldofDreams
      www.yieldofdreams.com

      Colette Kelso received a BA in psychology, cum laude, from the University
      of Colorado. She has a MFA in creative writing from Bennington College. She
      has spent many years involved with symbols and their manifestation in
      dreams, art, and our waking life.

      In interpreting a dream, she goes through the description sentence by
      sentence, making notes by hand, elaborating, conjecturing. The recounting
      of the dream is as significant as the symbols and activities within the
      dream. She looks at each piece separately as a metaphor, a message, and
      then puts the pieces all back together into a final interpretation, which
      is what you read in the end. She takes the time to stop and think and allow
      the meaning to come through and make sense.

      "I have been interpreting dreams for many years. My criteria for success in
      this area is based upon the feedback of the dreamers. I don't simply tell a
      dreamer what a dream means based on my experience, nor do I utilize a
      standardized dictionary of symbols because I don't believe in their general
      application. A dreamer must feel as if their world is understood or that
      something personal and relevant has been revealed. That is the "a-ha"
      feeling we get when something rings true at a deep level. I wish that
      everyone could get that pleasurable feeling!" Colette Kelso

      www.yieldofdreams.com

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      D R E A M C A L E N D A R

      September - October 2002

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|||||||>>>>>>>>>>>|||||<<<<<<<<<<<<

      Sep 6-7 in San Rafael, CA.
      "Advanced Archetypal Dream and Myth Study", a weekend seminar with Jeremy
      Taylor. For more information, contact th Marin Institute for Projective
      Dream Work, at 415.454.2793.

      Sep 7-8 in San Francisco, CA

      Exploring Dream Space with Maria Volchenko, Ph.D. For information, phone
      (510) 849-2791 or e-mail RIHeinze@...

      Sep 22-27 in Lenox, MA
      "Dream Teacher Training", a five-day training program with Robert Moss.
      Requires Completion of at least two previous depth workshops with Robert.
      Pre-approval is required for registration. If you wish to enroll, please
      write to Robert -Robert@... or Box 215, Troy NY 12181.

      Sept - June The Manhattan Dreamwork Seminars &
      Cambridge Dreamwork Intensives
      A Training in Embodied Dreamwork
      Dreamwork Seminars: September 21 through June 14 (See Schedule)
      Cambridge intensives : October 3-6, 2002 :: June 5-8, 2003
      ORDER FORM REQUEST: Send to Robert Bosnak <rbosnak@...>

      Sep 22-Oct 6, online

      PsiberDreaming Conference - sponsored by ASD, two weeks of cutting-edge
      papers, discussions, workshops, and chats. Still time to join! For more
      information on this event, go to:http://asdreams.org/psi2002/

      Oct 5, Smithsonian Institute Washington DC. Saturday
      Dreaming Mind and Creativity
      To register phone 202­357­3030

      Nov. 2 ASD Dream Conference in Atlanta, Georgia
      Saturday, November 2, 2002
      9:30am-4:30pm
      Emory University
      404-727-6000 from 9-4 (EST)

      November 2 and 3, 2002 ASD Regional in Bay Area
      Dreaming Beyond Borders: The Transformative Power of Dreams
      John F. Kennedy University :: Orinda, California
      To register by phone, please call 925-254-0105.
      To register by mail, visit:
      http://www.ASDreams.org/2002orinda to download and print a
      registration form.

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      An Excerpt From the Lucid Dream Exchange

      By Lucy Gillis

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      An Excerpt From The Lucid Dream Exchange
      By Lucy Gillis

      Sleep Paralysis Sensations
      Echoes of Body Re-Entry Problems?
      (c) Lucy Gillis

      During a recent e-mail discussion with sleep paralysis researcher Jorge
      Conesa, Jorge wrote:

      "I induced an SP and accidentally an OBE three nights ago. I panicked
      seeing my own body and did not know how to get back. So I approached my
      sleeping body and began chewing on, biting my own toes so I would wake up.
      This did not work. So instead, I did my "roll up" trick and woke up in a
      jolt! (The night preceding that OBE and the following night I recorded
      several SP's, lucid and vivid dreams.)"

      It struck me funny and I burst out laughing at the thought of being OBE,
      hunched over your physical body and gnawing on your own feet! A comical
      image indeed! But then, that image of a hunched figure bent over a sleeping
      body led me to recall some of the classical nightmare descriptions, such as
      an incubus crouched on a sleeper's chest, an image often used when
      describing effects of sleep paralysis.

      And then I began to wonder...

      What if, (on some occasions), the dreamer himself is the one producing the
      sensations felt during sleep paralysis?

      Suppose the dreamer doesn't recall being out of body. According to one
      theory, we leave our bodies every night when we sleep. We simply don't
      remember that we do so. Just like we all dream every night, but not
      everyone remembers their dreams. (For those who don't believe that we "go"
      anywhere in our sleep, instead of the phrase "leave our bodies", substitute
      "withdraw attention from the outer physical environment as our senses
      become "cut off" or reduced as we enter the sleep cycle.")

      What if, in the out of body state, we encounter difficulties getting back
      into the physical body? (Or, if not "out of body" we encounter difficulties
      in waking up and we hallucinate a dream version of our waking body.) What
      if we do like Jorge and attempt to get back in (or wake up) by alerting the
      physical body, trying to stir it to wakefulness? Could some of the
      sensations felt during sleep paralysis be an "echo" of this activity when
      the mind switches from dreaming consciousness to waking?

      Feelings and emotions are often more easily recalled when we awaken than
      are visual images. I'm sure we've all on occasion awakened from a dream
      with a lingering feeling, perhaps anxiety, or happiness, yet we couldn't
      recall what the specific dream was about.

      If we tend not to remember our dreams when we wake, or not recall out of
      body excursions, but we have a lasting feeling of anxiety or panic (from
      trying to get in body or wake up), perhaps the mind produces a distorted
      version of what is happening, trying to translate the sensations into
      something familiar, as best it can.

      Could we ourselves be the "demon" sitting on our own chests, trying to get
      back into our bodies when in fact it is the mind trying to translate the
      dream experience of our own attempts to return to waking reality?

      ********
      The Lucid Dream Exchange is a quarterly newsletter featuring lucid dreams
      and lucid dream related articles, poetry, interviews, and book reviews. To
      subscribe to The Lucid Dream Exchange send a blank email to:

      TheLucidDreamExchange-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      or join through the Yahoo Groups website at
      http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLucidDreamExchange

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      Matching Troublesome Nightmares With Appropriate Action

      © Linda Lane Magallón

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      From Electric Dreams 6(4)

      Some time ago, a "20/20" TV broadcast featured dreamworker and radio host
      Kathleen Sullivan. Kathleen, who is the author of *Recurring Dreams,*
      described her dream of an eagle caught in a web. She interpreted her dream
      eagle as a symbol for herself, caught in the web of alcoholic addiction.
      She was able to use that insight to change her life, to stop drinking and,
      as a result, her recurring dreams disappeared.

      On the same program, another dreamworker, Gillian Holloway, spoke with four
      people who were suffering from recurring nightmares. Like Kathleen, she
      used symbolic interpretation in an attempt to match dream content with
      current life. Afterwards, two of the people interviewed felt that the use
      of metaphor and pun unlocked their dreams' meaning and revealed helpful
      information. But the other two weren't so convinced.

      That symbols reflect current life is only one possible meaning for dreams.
      And to pinpoint the "meaning" of nightmares doesn't necessarily settle
      queasy and painful feelings or prickly and fearful emotions. Even those
      dreamworkers who usually take a passive approach to dreams will agree that
      a troublesome nightmare is cause for action. Some examples of "behavioral
      dreamwork" techniques are: re-entry visualization, cognitive belief work,
      Senoi and lucid dreaming.

      Furthermore, to focus solely on "symbolic interpretation" can miss the
      literal cause of the trauma. Just as with any type of dream, each possible
      stimulus for nightmare must be considered in order to match it with the
      appropriate action. When dreams are multi-layered, several methods might be
      used in conjunction.

      Here are several possible explanations for nightmares and suggested responses:

      1. A metaphor for current life attitudes and activities. When you change
      your life, the dream changes. For example: you quit a job with a demanding
      boss and your chase dreams cease.

      2. A metaphor for a bio-chemical glitch or surge. For example: You dream of
      your own body's dismemberment, as the pictorial equivalent of intrusive
      thoughts. Because this sort of nightmare is the result of the mind-body
      system not functioning at optimum (and expressing mental or physical
      illness instead), it can require physiological intervention such as diet or
      drug therapy. Conversely, drugs and normal hormonal changes can trigger it.
      For example: you dream of tidal flooding just prior to your menstrual
      period. A light touch of behavioral dreamwork techniques can shift content
      to a more positive metaphor to describe the sensation.

      3. A psychic copycat of a current situation. For example: your sister has
      repeating nightmares. You "dream her dreams" because you are in psychic
      resonance with her. Your dreams end when hers do. Or they cease when you
      break the psychic bond with her, using cleansing or cutting rituals.

      4. A repetition of a past traumatic event in current lifetime. For example:
      you dream of your recent rape, a childhood assault or your wartime battle.
      This type of nightmare is so deeply etched in the psyche that it can
      require heavy use of behavioral dreamwork techniques to modify the content
      and emotional intensity.

      5. A depiction of a past or probable life. For example: you dream the last
      events prior to your violent death. A request for new information may
      provide additional dreams to shed light on the events surrounding this
      nightmarish experience. Treatment involves the sort of behavior
      modification techniques used for traumatic nightmares.

      6. A depiction of the future. Confirmation occurs either when the dream
      comes true or when you change your life so it won't come true. For example:
      you buy new tires so you won't literally slide off the highway, as you keep
      doing in your dreams.

      Methods that determine meaning plus techniques that modify behavior
      comprise the full tool set to resolve a troublesome nightmare, recurring or
      not. But selecting the appropriate tool depends on what is actually
      stimulating the nightmare to occur. There is no one-size-fits-all tool for
      nightmare work. So, don't rely on that first hammer you bought, when what
      you really need is a crowbar or a monkey wrench.

      Linda Lane Magallón Dream Flights
      http://members.aol.com/caseyflyer/flying/dreams.html

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      National Nightmare Hotline : Year Two

      Jill Fischer

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      1-866-DRMS911

      On September 11, 2001 in response to the World Trade Center tragedy, Robert
      Bosnak and Jill Fischer joined with ASD to create the National Nightmare
      Hotline (1-866-DRMS911). Jill is the Executive Director of the hotline and
      responsible for overseeing the efforts of 40 volunteer dream specialists
      who cover phone lines 24 hours a day/seven days a week.

      Now that the initial effects of this event have passed, we are pleased to
      announce that The National Nightmare Hotline will remain a permanent
      service. Skilled professionals will continue to be available on phones, 24
      hours a day to debrief adults and children on their nightmares.

      Nightmares have an enormous impact on all of us. They are ordinary events
      after great traumatic disasters. Nightmares serve to digest the horrific
      events. Just telling them to someone can have a positive effect on an
      individual's sense of well being.

      We have received 825 Calls to the Hotline as of September 15, 2002 and have
      worked directly with 105 nightmares. Most callers find our hotline number
      on the Internet and have indicated that the service is very helpful. The
      fact that all volunteers have continued to make themselves available has
      made this service a reality. We have not been inundated by requests and
      many volunteers have merely been available but have not received calls.
      This has actually made volunteering manageable and allowed for our on-going
      service.

      Please be aware, an article about the Hotline is in the August issue of
      Hope Magazine . http://www.hopemag.com
      The magazine features stories about people who are working for positive
      change in the world.

      To read the article go to:
      https://www.hopemag.com/issues/2002/septOct/signsfieldingdreams.htm

      To thank volunteers for their commitment to the hotline, we provides
      callers, who want to work on their dreams, with a Dreamworkers Referral
      List. It is a list of all our volunteers who have indicated they are
      available for referrals. Thus, when a caller to the hotline expresses the
      desire to continue exploring their dreams, he/she is be given the name of
      dreamworkers in their respective area of the country. The dreamworker who
      receives the referral is then free to establish his or her individual way
      to work with the caller.

      This hotline, is NOT a counseling line. If desired, a dreamer is referred
      to a counselor after discussing their nightmare(s).

      The hotline has remained viable because of your generous donations. We will
      continue to welcome offers, no matter how small, that help support this
      public service.

      Please send your tax deductible donations to:

      The Association for the Study of Dreams (ASD)
      Attn: Susan Moreno, Office Manager
      PO Box 1592
      Merced, California 95341-a592

      Write on your checks:

      National Nightmare Hotline

      phone: (209) 724-0889
      ASDCentralOffice@...

      Electronic billing is also available through PayPal. At the ASD website
      www.asdreams.org It is a secure system that will allow you to donate with a
      credit card or transfer funds directly from your bank.

      You can also send your e-mail request to: ASDCentralOffice@... and you
      will receive complete instructions about how to proceed.

      We would appreciate your informing friends and associates that this hotline
      is available. Forward to your e-mail lists and/or print and distribute our
      flyer (located at the bottom of this page) where people might benefit.

      Volunteering Your Services

      Skilled and experienced dreamworkers and Psychotherapists are needed to be
      available on telephones, for one, three hour shift, once a week to debrief
      adults and children on their nightmares.

      Please send the following to:
      webmaster@...

      1. The three hour shift you would be available to answer telephones.
      (Please indicate specific days of the week and hours).
      2. Your telephone no.
      3. The full address of that number.
      4. The contact person at that number.
      5. Your e-mail address.
      6. A three line overview of your relevant experience.

      We will then contact you with all the particulars.

      Please be advised that we are looking for professional volunteers who have
      professional degrees &/or liability insurance.

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      Nightmares and Dreamwork Resources Online:
      The ASD Nightmare Page

      Richard Wilkerson

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      After 9-11 the reports by so many people of nightmares and questions to the
      ASD bulletin board about what to do about them, ASD developed the Nightmare
      Page. Below is an annotated index of this resource. Here is the phone
      hotline:
      Nightmare Hotline : 1-866-DRMS911

      Recommended Reading on Nightmares

      ASD Nightmare FAQ - Common Questions
      http://www.asdreams.org/subidxedunightmares.htm
      [Scheduled for updating by the Education Committee]

      Guidelines for coping with Nightmares after Trauma. Patricia Garfield, Ph.D.
      http://www.patriciagarfield.com/idx_library_nightmare_guidelines.htm

      Article: Nightmare Remedies: Helping Your Children Tame The Demons of the
      Night. Alan Siegel, Ph.D. and Kelly Bulkeley, Ph. D.
      http://www.asdreams.org/magazine/articles/seigel98dreamcatching.htm

      Article: Nightmares and What to Do About Them. Patricia Garfield, Ph.D.
      http://www.patriciagarfield.com/idx_library_childs.htm

      Article: Nightmares? Bad Dreams? Lucky You! D.R.E.A.M.S. Foundation
      http://www.crhsc.umontreal.ca/dreamsfoundation/nightmr1.htm

      Article: American Dreans: Nightmares and what to do about them. AARP Modern
      Maturity.
      http://www.modernmaturity.org/departments/2002/issues/0510_issues_a.html

      ====0==== Advanced & Extended Studies on Nightmares ====0====

      A Mini-Course for Clinicians and Trauma Workers on Posttraumatic
      Nightmares. Alan Siegel, Ph.D.
      http://www.asdreams.org/magazine/articles/seigel_nightmares.htm

      Article: The Relationship of Dream Content and Changes in Daytime Mood in
      Traumatized Vs. Non-Traumatized Children Raija-Leena Punamäki
      http://www.asdreams.org/journal/articles/pukamamaki9-4.htm

      Article: Freud and Jung on Nightmares. Tore Nielsen, Ph.D.Article:
      http://www.crhsc.umontreal.ca/dreams/znm.htm

      Overcoming Nightmares. Stephen LaBerge and Howard. Rheingold
      http://www.lucidity.com/EWLD10.txt

      Article: Dreams of Terror, Dreams of Healing. Robert Moss

      Article: Dream Work & Collective Trauma - Unconscious Elements In Public
      Debate. Jeremy Taylor
      http://members.telocity.com/rcw666/ed-articles/jeremy_taylor_2001_decl_collective_trauma.htm

      Article: Working with Your Nightmares. Strephon Kaplan-Williams
      http://dreamgate.com/skw/nightmares.htm

      This is an ever-growing resource, so you if have a suggestion for that
      page, send it to the Chair of the ASD Education Committee
      http://www.asdreams.org/subidxprojectscommittees.htm

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      Nightmares! New Approaches

      by Richard Catlett Wilkerson

      o|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|o

      Introduction

      If you ever are brave enough to tell people you work with dreams, you
      will soon be asked how to handle nightmares. This is a tricky spot to be in
      as nightmares can sometimes be a signal that other things are wrong with
      the body or mind and require a physician or therapists. On the other hand,
      nightmares are really fairly common and seeing a professional is not always
      the best course. I wrote this article for the Alternative Medicine forum
      on America Online for those wishing to know more about this area, how to
      determine the best course and the latest procedures and techniques used by
      dreamworkers.

      -------------------

      Dream: "At first I was going to run like I have done before in other dreams
      with this thing. The dark creature scared me and threatened to harm me, it
      even seemed to know where I would hide. But this time I stood up to the
      thing and demanded that it back off. To my surprise, the creature stopped
      and sat up like a puppy, as if it were begging for a bone. I was flooded
      with tears as I thought how lonely this creature must be." BK

      Although this is a modern dream, it could well have been the dream of a
      Senoi child, a semi-mythical tribe said to have shared dreams each morning.
      The Senoi taught their children to confront nightmare monsters and even to
      extract a gift from them in reparation. These techniques of nightmare
      confrontation are now being employed and expanded by researchers to help
      nightmare suffers around the world. Many of the processes can be used
      safely by adults or parents with their children.

      There are many scary events in life and in sleep that we refer to as
      "nightmares" and it is important to distinguish between them. The most
      common frightening events during sleep are nightmares, night terrors and
      sleep paralysis. (ASD Nightmare faq quote)

      Nightmares, Night Terrors or Sleep Paralysis?

      Unpleasant dreams are not uncommon and may at times wake us up and be
      called Nightmares. Nightmares are extreme reactions of negative feelings,
      often with great amounts of fear, that occur during dreams and are recalled
      upon awakening. Though more common in children, they can happen to anyone.
      Children are often chased by animals and fantasy figures. Adults are often
      chased by male adults. Generally they occur in the last part of the night
      or sleep cycle. Contributing factors in the cause of nightmares include
      illness, stress, troubled relationships and traumatic event. Ernest
      Hartmann, a leading researcher in America on Nightmares has noted that some
      personality types can be prone to nightmares. There seem to be natural or
      early learned personality styles that produce dream people and thought
      people. The thought people maintain thick boundaries between contexts, are
      very focused and can shut dreaming memory out altogether. Dream people have
      thin boundaries, are more sensitive, have a wider, softer focus and tend to
      recall dreams very easily, sometime frightening dreams.

      Traumatic events can trigger a long lasting series of recurrent
      nightmares often diagnosed as part of PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
      These nightmares are different in that they repeat the same scene over and
      over for years. They are usually found in veterans, but other traumas may
      also bring this about. These nightmare sufferers usually require
      professional assistance. However, most of our nightmares (and other
      unpleasant dreams) can be easily turned into positive experiences by new
      techniques in dreamwork.

      Night terrors are different from nightmares. First, they usually occur
      during the first hour or two of sleep. It is not uncommon to hear the
      person screaming or thrashing around. It is often hard to wake the sleeper
      and they rarely remember anything. Children who have night terrors may also
      sleepwalk or urinate in bed. Night terrors are not well understood, and
      seem to come from a part of sleep that is rarely associated with dreams and
      dreaming. By puberty, children usually stop having night terrors. Adults
      having night terrors often are also leading very stressful lives. A
      consultation with a physician may be useful if the night terrors are
      frequent or especially disturbing, though often just talking about it or
      making small changes in sleep routine is enough. One long term researcher
      notes that "I have found that night terrors are often more disturbing and
      stressful for the parents than the child."

      Sleep paralysis is the experience of not being able to move. Often there is
      a feeling of great weight on the chest making it hard to breath. Fantasy
      and reality can mix, hallucinations may appear and loud buzzing noises,
      vibrations and feelings of being touched or electrified. Sometimes the
      person realizes they are dreaming and still can't wake up. Researchers feel
      that sleep paralysis is really a partial awakening during REM or Rapid Eye
      Movement Sleep, when the body is naturally parked off line. Messages from
      the brain are stopped from entering the body and it is a natural condition
      that occurs about ever 90 minutes of sleep. Since anxiety about the
      situation occurs, adrenaline speeds up the body and people can even feel
      that they are leaving their body. The recommendation by researcher Stephen
      Laberge is simply to realize it is a dream that can't harm you and to
      relax. Dreams that proceed from paralysis experiences are often quite
      intense and wonderful.

      Facing the Fear

      The famous dream researcher Calvin Hall notes that Americans say more than
      half of all reported dreams are unpleasant. Many researchers feel this is
      due to the attitudes we carry with us to bed. What if, before going to bed
      at night we brushed our attitude as well as our teeth?

      This is just what both ancient and modern dreamworkers encourage. With the
      application of a few simple techniques, we can nurture a dream garden of
      delights and turn the worst monsters into friends and allies.

      Some of the techniques are so simple that children can learn them. Ann
      Sayre Wiseman teaches children in grade school how to confront Nightmares.
      She has them first draw the monster or fear and then draw a solution. At
      first children often shoot or destroy the monster, but later develop more
      creative solutions like magic circles and cages, as well as complex problem
      solving strategies. Representing the dream by drawing allows the children
      time to dialogue with the fears, as well as empowering them to feel safe
      and experiment with options to running away. These powers are carried over
      into the night time dreams. One child who was plagued by a bear-like
      monster reported that he was able to yell at the monster "Stop, why are you
      chasing me?" The monster stopped chasing him and began crying that we was
      just looking for someone to play with.

      Jill Gregory has used similar techniques with grade school children by
      getting them to stage the dream. She first has the children create a
      costume for the dream monster, and then they get to "show and tell".
      Gregory would further ask the children to come up with a more satisfying
      solution to the dream. These stagings or dream dramas become a skill with
      carries over into the dream world. One doesn't have to even explore the
      symbolic meaning of the dream for these techniques to work.

      Adults may practice the same techniques. The daytime practice sessions are
      important, even when it seems silly. This is because our minds get into
      habits, just like our bodies. If we have a pattern of running away, this
      pattern has to be strongly connected with new options. Setting a mental or
      verbal intention to try these options is an important step, but may not be
      remembered in the panic of a nightmare as well as actual practice. Draw or
      sculpt or dramatize the creature and clear options and reactions to being
      assaulted.

      If you don't have the time to draw or dramatize your dream, you may wish to
      try dream-reentry. In dream reentry the dreamer becomes relaxed and begins
      to recall the dream, to imagine re-entering the dream. However, if there is
      some part of the dream that is unpleasant, the dreamer then imagines an
      alternative solution. Laberge and other experts suggest the solution
      involve something more creative than just wishing the problem away. Wishing
      the problem away is a sneaky form of the same fear reaction of running away.

      The model of bringing more consciousness to dreams that started with the
      Senoi tribe and has been practiced by many modern researchers.

      1. Do not flee from threatening dream characters. Confront them
      courageously. Set limits. Ask for their name as a parent would ask a child
      who was misbehaving what his or her name was.

      2. Try to find a creative solution with the dream monster that satisfies
      you both. If impossible, try to get the monster to look at the problem as a
      mutual dispute. Refuse threats and insults, but recognize justified objections.

      3. Never surrender to an attack by a dream figure. Take up a posture that
      shows you will defend yourself. Stare them in the eye. If a fight is
      unavoidable, try to overcome them but not kill them. Offer a reconciliation.

      4. After reconciliation or stopping the dream figure, ask how they might be
      able to help you. Or ask for a gift if they recognize they have been wrong
      to torment you.

      5. With children, it is very effective to teach them to call on a
      super-hero friend or parent to help them in the dream.

      Often people will share a nightmare or bad dream with a friend or relative.
      If you are on the listening side, there are some simple skills you can use
      to listen to the dreamer. Jeremy Taylor and Gayle Delaney have been
      teaching these skills for years. They both see the nightmare as a gift
      which can be unwrapped alone or with the help of someone else.

      Jeremy Taylor uses a variation of the "If this were my dream..."
      technique originally developed by the famous dreamworker Montague
      Ullman. With the "If this were my dream..." approach, the listener at
      first does just that, listens without interruption.

      Then a few clarifying questions are asked, such as the color of a coat, or
      the contents a box or the feeling in the dream at the time. Any question
      that might call for an interpretation is avoided, such as "What do you
      think the blue coat meant?"

      Finally, the listener takes the dream as his or her own. John Herbert has
      used this technique online and suggests that before every sentence the
      thought "In my dream..." is kept in mind. Thus as a listener I might say
      "In my dream, the blue coat reminds me of something to cover myself with,
      as if I were cold." The dreamer may or may not see this meaning in their
      own dream. By taking the dream as one's own, the dreamer needn't worry so
      much about someone imposing meaning on the dream. Taylor feels that we
      should keep in mind that all dreams, even nightmares, come in the service
      of healing and health. Any interpretation that does not serve this view is
      simply wrong and inappropriate.

      Gayle Delaney, one of the founding parents of the Association for the
      Study of Dreams, suggests abandoning interpretations altogether. Delaney
      has developed a dream interview system that allows a listener to ask
      questions about a person's dreams without getting involved in suggesting
      meanings at all.

      Like Taylor, she recommends that the first step is careful listening,
      showing empathy without interruption and allowing the dreamer to feel
      comfortable.

      She then suggests diagraming the dream. This involves outlining the major
      actions, people, objects/animals/monsters and feelings. The dreamer is then
      invited to describe without interpreting each of these elements to the
      listener as if the listener were from Mars or another planet. This way,
      usual assumptions are bypassed and the dreamer can explain and explore the
      dream imagery more deeply.

      The listener can summaries and repeat or condense these and feed them back
      to the dreamer so the dreamer feels sure the listener has accurately heard
      the dream.

      The listener can then encourage the dreamer to make bridges to waking life.
      How are each of these elements like something in the dreamer's life?

      Usually this can be done by generalizing the function of the image. If its
      a refrigerator, its a place to keep things cool, and where in my life do I
      keep things cool? If its a car without breaks, where in my life are there
      things in motion that I can't stop? Finally, the interviewer might ask if
      there are alternatives. If my life is like a car without breaks, how would
      I like it differently?

      Lucid Dreaming and Nightmares

      "I believe the best place to deal with unpleasant dreams is in their own
      context, in the dream world. We create our nightmares out of the raw
      material of our own fears. Fears are expectations--why would we fear
      something we thought would never happen?" Stephen Laberge

      In part II we discussed techniques you can practice before going to sleep
      or after waking up. But note one item here, while dream monsters may
      frighten you emotionally, they are after all just dreams. If you realized
      it was a dream, while you were dreaming, then what could harm you?

      In some ways, when we wake up, a similar reaction occurs. We realize it is
      a dream. But researchers have found that this is not the best or most
      satisfying approach:

      "'Escaping' from a nightmare by awakening only suppresses your conscious
      awareness of the anxiety-provoking imagery. You may feel a certain relief,
      but like the prisoner who digs through his prison wall and finds himself in
      the cell next door, you haven't really escaped." Laberge & Rheingold

      Finding a creative resolution is even easier when we realize that it is a
      dream and we continue dreaming. This is what is called "lucid dreaming".

      Lucid dreaming occurs spontaneously in many dreamers, but it is also a
      technique that can be learned. Though not as easy as the previous
      techniques, it is often more fulfilling and worth the effort to many
      dreamers. Though lucid dreaming became an object of investigation in the
      19th Century, its popular scientific status was not obtained until the late
      1970's, when Stephen Laberge was able to demonstrate lucid dreaming in
      laboratory conditions. This rise into mainstream science allowed others to
      bring their research on lucidity and nightmares to the public.

      Lucid dreaming researchers now have a variety of programs and techniques
      for learning to have lucid dreams and it has become one of the most popular
      topics on the Internet in the venues that discuss dreams. Lucid dreaming
      is now even taught to children.

      Techniques for increasing the frequency of lucid dreams vary with the
      individual. There are many combinations of methods that work for many
      people. Here are some ideas based on *Lucid Dreamer's Quick Reference* by
      Lars Spivock:

      * Throughout the day, ask yourself "Am I Dreaming?" and imagine something
      wonderful you could be doing in your dream - this is your dream goal. Use
      your watch or something you notice often as a reminder to ask. Limit
      excitement, food, drink, and exercise for several hours before bedtime.
      Drinking plain water, sex, and small amounts of caffeine may be beneficial.

      * Arrange your dream space with inspirational items. Keep your journaling
      materials, writing or taping, bedding, and blinds in good working
      order. In the hour before sleep, have only relaxing thoughts and
      activities. Write the date and your goal dream in your journal. Just before
      sleep, with your eyes closed, review your goal dream and affirm to wake up
      after each dream.

      * As you awaken from a dream, memorize it in detail before you open your
      eyes or change your body position. Record it in your journal. If you are
      not ready to fall back asleep, get up and do something for a while.

      * As you fall back asleep, repeatedly imagine your last dream, recognizing
      that you are dreaming and guiding the outcome. Your continuation of the
      dream may involve boldly confronting an adversary. You can transform
      yourself into any object, animal or human role. You can transform someone
      or something else in the dream. You can apply elements from your goal dream.

      * When you recognize you are dreaming, calmly enjoy the unfolding of the
      dream. Optionally perform a reality test by levitating and calmly begin
      guiding the outcome. When your lucidity begins to fade away, spin your
      dream body and affirm to start your goal dream when lucidity returns.

      * Favor waking up to birdsongs instead of an alarm radio set to the news.
      Upon waking, keep your eyes closed and remain motionless for a few minutes
      while r
      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)