Church and empire

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2008
      I read a very thought-provoking blog post today from "A Mule in the chapter
      house".

      Here's a quote:

      === begin quote ===
      The Church is not the interior of the Empire, the Empire is the material
      expression of the Church. Man was created to live and move and have his being
      in this Empire/Church which was intended to mediate the life [energies?] of
      the Blessed Trinity to the whole of Creation.

      Charles Williams saw, no, felt this acutely, and called it the “Web of
      Exchange”, “Co-inherence”, or simply “the City”, and hinted that it was
      intended to encompass the entirety of Creation. Indeed, we see that one of
      the gravest problems that we are facing is an ecological crisis, whereby the
      Web of Empire, that portion of the Web of Exchange which organizes the
      energies of men, is returning material to the Web of Physical Nature, that
      portion of the Web of Exchange whose interchanges and sacrifices we describe
      as chemical reactions, in a condition unusable by it. What men call “the
      economy” has its inputs from this other, more elementary Web, and its impact
      upon this Web is considerable, but the terms of Exchange have not hitherto
      been charitable.
      === end quote ===

      But read the whole thing at:

      http://tinyurl.com/5v87df