Re:NaNoWriMo

  • Richard Lyman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2008
      Sorry. I have tried writing fiction before, and I can't do it. Non-fiction is different.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
        On 28 Oct 2008 at 18:05, Richard Lyman wrote:

        > Sorry. I have tried writing fiction before, and I can't do it. Non-fiction is
        > different. Richard Sturch.

        Well, I tried.

        Today I lay in the bath reading Virginia Woolf's "A writer's diary", and fell
        asleep on each page, but thinking about it in between I realise that she too
        had problems thinking of titles and kept chopping and changing until the last
        minute and then revising and being dissatisfied. And then I think of what I'm
        trying to write. One story that isn't going anywhere. Marjorie Rodwell has a
        mysterious visitor, but then what. Another that is just a series of detached
        scenes. And I realise that no, I should not be trying to write another
        NaNoWriMo book this year, but should polish up the Dragon one, and do what
        John Davies said, and make it a bit like Dorothy Sayers's The nine tailors.

        And so I think about the McGuffin. In Williams's War in heaven it is the
        Graal. In The Greater Trumps it is the Tarot cards and the figures they
        represent.

        Do I've decided to drop out this year, and instead work on the one I wrote
        two years ago, and see if I can polish up the McGuffin a bit.

        http://methodius.blogspot.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 30, 2009
          Is anyone in this forum planning to take part in National Novel-Writing Month
          (NaNoWriMo)?

          Three years ago I challenged people in Inklings forums to take part and try
          to write a novel of the same genre as Charles Williams.

          That's because I like Charles Williams's novels, and though he's dead and so
          can't write any more, I've hoped that others would write novels in the same
          genre, and Inklings fans would be among the people most likely to do that.

          For a while I hoped that Phil Rickman would develop into the kind of writer
          like Charles Williams, but the trend of his writing is now more towards
          conventional whodunits with a little ecclesiastical intrigue thrown in --
          Ruth Rendell meets Susan Howatch. My take on his latest book is at:

          http://khanya.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/recent-reading-to-dream-of-the-dead/

          I was thinking of reissuing the challenge this year, and taking part in
          NaNoWriMo myself, even though inspiration has been mostly absent, and I'm
          still trying to revise the one I wrote three years ago in answer to my own
          challenge.

          But I won't be able to do that this year, as something else has come up. A
          couple of years ago I was struck by the way in which the charismatic renewal
          movement had been written out of South African church history, to the extent
          that much of what was published was a distortion of history. I began to
          collect material with the idea of documenting some of the vanished and
          vanishing history, before everyone who remembered it was dead. Someone
          pointed out that a church historian had actually written something 25 years
          ago, but was told by colleagues that he would ruin his academic reputation if
          he published it. I managed to locate him, and he kindly sent me his
          unpublished MS, which I read, and found as gripping as a page-turner novel.
          But it also killed my project, because he had written the book i wanted to
          write. I'd simply be trying to reinvent the wheel.

          But then he suggested to me that I edit it and rewrite it, to being it up to
          date and add my material, and that we try to find someone who will publish it
          under both our names. So that will keep me out of NaNoWriMo this year.

          But I still wish that someone will be moved to write something in the Charles
          Williams genre (which includes C.S. Lewis's "That hideous strength").

          If you have even the slightest urge in that direction, sign up with NaNoWriMo
          now and get writing!

          http://www.nanowrimo.org/

          .

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2009
[...]

            But then he suggested to me that I edit it and rewrite it, to bring it up to

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 28, 2010
              NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) begins on 1 November.

              Is anyone planning to participate?

              Is anyone planning to write a novel in the genre of Charles Williams (hope
              springs eternal)?

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2016
                Is anyone here taking part in National Novel-Writing Month?

                If so, what are you writing about?

                Ten years ago I urged people in this forum to consider writing a novel in the
                genre of Charles Williams, but there were no takers.

                I still keep hoping that someone will,

                Web: http://www.khanya.org.za/litmain.htm