NaNoWriMo

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2008
      I’m in two minds about whether to join NaNoWriMo this year.

      For those who don’t know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel-Writing Month, and the
      aim to to write a 50 000 word novel in the month of November. There are no
      prizes other than knowing you’ve completed it, but the aim is to get people
      who’ve been promising themselves that they would write a book one day to
      actually get on with it and write one.

      I took part a couple of years ago, and tried to get some others to join me,
      with a particular purpose in mind -- to try to write a book in the same genre
      as the novels of Charles Williams.

      I'm repeating the challenge this year -- and if I can get at least three
      others to join me, I may take part in NaNoWriMo this year.

      Any takers?

      For anyone interested, there's more on my Khanya blog at:

      http://khanya.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/nanowrimo/

      http://methodius.blogspot.com
    • Richard Lyman
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2008
        Sorry. I have tried writing fiction before, and I can't do it. Non-fiction is different.
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
          On 28 Oct 2008 at 18:05, Richard Lyman wrote:

          > Sorry. I have tried writing fiction before, and I can't do it. Non-fiction is
          > different. Richard Sturch.

          Well, I tried.

          Today I lay in the bath reading Virginia Woolf's "A writer's diary", and fell
          asleep on each page, but thinking about it in between I realise that she too
          had problems thinking of titles and kept chopping and changing until the last
          minute and then revising and being dissatisfied. And then I think of what I'm
          trying to write. One story that isn't going anywhere. Marjorie Rodwell has a
          mysterious visitor, but then what. Another that is just a series of detached
          scenes. And I realise that no, I should not be trying to write another
          NaNoWriMo book this year, but should polish up the Dragon one, and do what
          John Davies said, and make it a bit like Dorothy Sayers's The nine tailors.

          And so I think about the McGuffin. In Williams's War in heaven it is the
          Graal. In The Greater Trumps it is the Tarot cards and the figures they
          represent.

          Do I've decided to drop out this year, and instead work on the one I wrote
          two years ago, and see if I can polish up the McGuffin a bit.

          http://methodius.blogspot.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2009
            Is anyone in this forum planning to take part in National Novel-Writing Month
            (NaNoWriMo)?

            Three years ago I challenged people in Inklings forums to take part and try
            to write a novel of the same genre as Charles Williams.

            That's because I like Charles Williams's novels, and though he's dead and so
            can't write any more, I've hoped that others would write novels in the same
            genre, and Inklings fans would be among the people most likely to do that.

            For a while I hoped that Phil Rickman would develop into the kind of writer
            like Charles Williams, but the trend of his writing is now more towards
            conventional whodunits with a little ecclesiastical intrigue thrown in --
            Ruth Rendell meets Susan Howatch. My take on his latest book is at:

            http://khanya.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/recent-reading-to-dream-of-the-dead/

            I was thinking of reissuing the challenge this year, and taking part in
            NaNoWriMo myself, even though inspiration has been mostly absent, and I'm
            still trying to revise the one I wrote three years ago in answer to my own
            challenge.

            But I won't be able to do that this year, as something else has come up. A
            couple of years ago I was struck by the way in which the charismatic renewal
            movement had been written out of South African church history, to the extent
            that much of what was published was a distortion of history. I began to
            collect material with the idea of documenting some of the vanished and
            vanishing history, before everyone who remembered it was dead. Someone
            pointed out that a church historian had actually written something 25 years
            ago, but was told by colleagues that he would ruin his academic reputation if
            he published it. I managed to locate him, and he kindly sent me his
            unpublished MS, which I read, and found as gripping as a page-turner novel.
            But it also killed my project, because he had written the book i wanted to
            write. I'd simply be trying to reinvent the wheel.

            But then he suggested to me that I edit it and rewrite it, to being it up to
            date and add my material, and that we try to find someone who will publish it
            under both our names. So that will keep me out of NaNoWriMo this year.

            But I still wish that someone will be moved to write something in the Charles
            Williams genre (which includes C.S. Lewis's "That hideous strength").

            If you have even the slightest urge in that direction, sign up with NaNoWriMo
            now and get writing!

            http://www.nanowrimo.org/

            .

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 30, 2009
[...]

              But then he suggested to me that I edit it and rewrite it, to bring it up to

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 28, 2010
                NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) begins on 1 November.

                Is anyone planning to participate?

                Is anyone planning to write a novel in the genre of Charles Williams (hope
                springs eternal)?

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2016
                  Is anyone here taking part in National Novel-Writing Month?

                  If so, what are you writing about?

                  Ten years ago I urged people in this forum to consider writing a novel in the
                  genre of Charles Williams, but there were no takers.

                  I still keep hoping that someone will,

                  Web: http://www.khanya.org.za/litmain.htm