Re: (Fwd) [coinherence-l] What did CW, Tolkien, CSL, make of life?

  • ddanehyoakes
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2008
      --- In eldil@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:
      > for them, is beauty on earth something cherished or fraught with the
      > oppression of evil? So which way does the balance swing with these
      > Inklings? Life? Death and Paradise? Or both in some way? How?
      > And is what they wrote and thought still relevant (I'd say yes, of
      > course). More to the question, is what they wrote life affirming?

      I think these Inklings would not have agreed 100% on your
      questions, but that they would all agree to the following
      statement: Life is a good thing, created by God for us to
      enjoy; however, it is not the ultimate good, but rather
      a preview of the ultimate good. Further, it is (unlike the
      ultimate good) damaged or tainted by evil. Nonetheless, it
      is salutary to enjoy those aspects of this life which may
      be enjoyed lawfully.

      To borrow a bit of CW's terminology, I believe that all
      three of these Inklings were followers, to greater or
      lesser extents, of the Way of Affirmation -- this is
      Thou (though neither is this _fully_ Thou).

      And, yes, what they wrote is life-affirming, Williams'
      work most of all.

      --Dan'l