Re: [eldil] Madeleine l'Engle dies

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2007
      On 7 Sep 2007 at 17:40, SherryT wrote:

      > >>From: Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...>

      > Andre Norton, Octavia Butler, Lloyd Alexander, Kurt Vonnegut, and now
      > Madeleine L'Engle. It's been a bad year for fantasy/SF authors.

      Yes... here's a fuller obit:

      http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_89811_ENG_HTM.htm

      [Episcopal News Service] Madeleine L'Engle, a lay Episcopalian who wrote
      more than 60 books ranging from children's stories to theological
      reflection, died September 6 in Litchfield, Connecticut. She was 88.

      Her death, of natural causes in a nursing home, was announced September 7 by
      her publisher, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, according to the Associated Press.

      L'Engle was best known for her children's classic, "A Wrinkle in Time,"
      which won the John Newbery Award as the best children's book of 1963. By
      2004, it had sold more than 6 million copies, was in its 67th printing and
      was still selling 15,000 copies a year, the New York Times reported.

      She had been the writer-in-residence and librarian at the Episcopal
      Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City.

      In November 2000, she told an interviewer for Religion and Ethics Newsweekly
      that suffering and grief are a part of life.

      "In times when we are not particularly suffering, we do not have enough time
      for God," she said. "We are too busy with other things. And then the intense
      suffering comes, and we can not be busy with other things. And then God
      comes into the equation. Help. And we should never be afraid of crying out,
      'Help!' I need all the help I can get."

      L'Engle wrote a number of books for adults, many of them reflecting on her
      faith. Those titles included "Bright Evening Star: Mystery of the
      Incarnation" and "Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art." She also
      wrote a series known as the Crosswicks Journal, based on the liturgical year
      and reflecting on the seasons of her own life. Titles included "A Circle of
      Quiet," "The Summer of the Great-Grandmother," "The Irrational Season," and
      "Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage."

      Funeral arrangements are pending as of this writing.

      http://www.episcopalchurch.org/images/ELO_89811_lengle_md.jpg

      http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw