Re: [eldil] Liberalism and conservatism

  • Yvonne Aburrow
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
      Hi Steve

      That's a good list, but you missed out Distributism (invented by Catholic social theorists, and I *think* espoused by Chesterton): the distribution of power to the lowest possible level, and the fair allocation of goods and services.  Kind of a more practical version of Anarchism.

      Here's where I fit personally on the various spectra:

      LEFT <--                                               --> RIGHT
                            POLITICAL FREEDOM

      <-- Libertarian / Liberal  -->
      (I'd be an anarchist in an ideal world)

                                ECONOMICS

                        <-- Mixed Economy -->

                              SOCIAL CHANGE

      <--   Radical        -->
      (there was no middle ground on that one)

                            POWER DISTRIBUTION
      <-- Democracy
      (or Distributism, but without the Catholic overtones)

      As regards Lewis' politics, I'd say he made himself fairly clear about them in That Hideous Strength.

      There's an excellent article about the politics and theology of Unitarians here:
      http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2008/07/of-madmen-and-martyrs.html

      --
      Yvonne
      ~~