Chesterton, Lewis and the securocrats

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2008
      Fans of Hilaire Belloc and G.K. Chesterton might enjoy an interesting tibit
      dredged from the secret files of the apartheid state, which I've blogged
      about as "The securocrat's guide to literary criticism", which you may find
      here:

      http://tinyurl.com/5mrpcf

      Humphey Carpenter says of the influence of Chesterton on C.S. Lewis that
      Lewis was impatient with reinterpreters of the Christian faith. For him it
      did not need to be reinterpreted, but rather championed and defended. "In
      this attitude he was in agreement with two ultra-orthodox defenders of the
      faith, G.K. Chesterton, whose apologetic writings had been an influence on
      him in his conversion, and Tolkien. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic. He
      had hoped that Lewis too might become a Catholic, and was disappointed that
      he had returned to membership of the Chuch of England."

      And it tends to reinforce my belief that theological liberalism goes hand in
      hand with political conservatism and vice versa
      http://methodius.blogspot.com