Re: [eldil] Elidor (was: The Narnian Tarot...)

  • Yvonne Aburrow
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2008
      Hi Steve

      I've read a couple of Garner's other books (Strandloper and Thursbitch are excellent) but have never got around to Elidor.  The four hallows theme sounds similar to Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, though I am sure that Garner would avoid the elitism which mars Cooper's novels.

      I don't know about the Findhorn link; the Findhorn community is named after its location in Findhorn Bay -- and incidentally is a good illustration of the old joke:
      Q.  What's the difference between New Age and Paganism?
      A.  Another couple of zeroes on the price.

      cheers
      Yvonne

      On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 5:49 PM, <eldil@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I read [Elidor] for the first time shortly after my first visit to Manchester, and
      found its realism most impressive. Garner gave a feel of Manchester, and this
      made the mingling of fantasy and the real world even more impressive.

      In Narnia there is always a crossing over. While what one has learned in one
      world can be used in the other, what one DOES in the one world does not
      affect
      the other. The other thing about my first reading of Elidor that the pace of
      the action was almost intolerably fast. What happens always brings pressure,
      and it is this pressure on the children that Garner evokes so clearly.

      One thing that I discovered later that made me curious was whether there was
      any link between Findhorn the unicorn and the Findhorn new age community in
      Scotland. I don't think there is, but the coincidence of the name seemed
      remarkable. Does anyone know where Garner got that?

      Web:    http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/litmain.htm
      http://methodius.blogspot.com

      --
      Yvonne