Re: [eldil] Digest Number 34

  • Yvonne Aburrow
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2008
      On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 5:38 PM, <eldil@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Message
      1a. Re: The Narnian Tarot...
         Posted by: "Steve Hayes" hayesstw@... hayesstw
         Date: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:50 pm ((PDT))

      > You've seen that the Chronicles of Narnia were based on the seven planets...
      > Now enjoy the Narnian Tarot:
      > http://druidjournal.net/2008/07/10/the-narnian-tarot/

      I'm glad that the author observes that the Narnian stories are NOT allegory,

      Yes, hence Tolkien's thing about applicability (though JRRT hated Narnia, of course)

      Many people don't seem to realise that there is a big difference between
      symbol and allegory.

      Very different intents and outcomes

      But in the links to the Tarot, I think there is too much tendency to
      allegorize:

      yes, possibly (but I think the idea was slightly tongue-in-cheek)

      Some seem to fit better than others.

      And Kirke was not the Magician, but the Magician's nephew.

      Indeed.  Though Uncle Andrew is the crassest kind of caricature of an occultist -- I've never met any like that (even satanists, who are thoroughly obnoxious, aren't quite as sinister as Uncle Andrew).  Though I have met a scientist who was almost as bad as Uncle Andrew (and he was an evangelical Christian, too)...

      From the point of view of many Pagans, the distinction between good magic and bad magic is the distinction between that which goes with the will of the universe (good, since the Divine is immanent in the universe) and that which goes against it (bad).  From a Pagan point of view, Kirke is a magician (the good kind).
      --
      Yvonne
      ~~