Re: [eldil] Prince Caspian -- the film

    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2008
      On 20 May 2008 at 20:36, Yvonne Aburrow wrote:

      > Hi Steve and all
      >
      > Thanks for the warning - I don't think I'll bother then! I wasn't too
      > impressed with the LWW film (too much messing with the plot) and this sounds
      > even worse.
      >
      > I recommend the BBC TV serial instead. They didn't mess with the plot. And
      > they had Tom Baker as Puddleglum in TSC :)

      I remember seeing that (was it the one that come out in the 60s?). I can't
      remember much of what it was like.

      I haven't seen the "Lord of the Rings" films either. I don't like them
      messing with the pictures in my head when I read the book.

      I enjoyed the Harry Potter films, though

      http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
    • Hummingwolf
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2008
        On the other hand, I have seen one opinion that the
        Prince Caspian movie was not merely good,
        but--*gasp*--better than the book. Eastern Orthodox
        writer Frederica Mathewes-Green was prompted by the
        movie to collect readers' opinions of film adaptations
        that are better than the books and shared her results
        here:
        http://www.frederica.com/writings/when-the-movie-trumps-the-book-top-ten.html#entry1843237

        (This is also on National Review Online at
        http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTQ5NTU3MjQxNTlmNmM4YjEwYmY1NmZjYWVkMzUyNmY=
        )

        --- Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...> wrote:

        > On 20 May 2008 at 20:36, Yvonne Aburrow wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Steve and all
        > >
        > > Thanks for the warning - I don't think I'll bother
        > then! I wasn't too
        > > impressed with the LWW film (too much messing with
        > the plot) and this sounds
        > > even worse.
        > >
        > > I recommend the BBC TV serial instead. They
        > didn't mess with the plot. And
        > > they had Tom Baker as Puddleglum in TSC :)
        >
        > I remember seeing that (was it the one that come out
        > in the 60s?). I can't
        > remember much of what it was like.
        >
        > I haven't seen the "Lord of the Rings" films either.
        > I don't like them
        > messing with the pictures in my head when I read the
        > book.
        >
        > I enjoyed the Harry Potter films, though
        >

        > --
        > Steve Hayes
        > E-mail: shayes@...
        > Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
        > http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
        > Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
        > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727

      • Yvonne Aburrow
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2008
          Hmm, well, I don't know.  I liked the book, so I don't get all this talk of it being "thin".  I didn't like the way they jazzed up the action in the first film -- though giving Edmund a motive for being annoying and sulky was probably a good idea.

          Atheists that liked the book also hated the film.

          --
          Yvonne
          ~~