Tolkien Reveals TRUE Meaning Of 'The Lord Of The Rings'

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2014
      J.R.R. Tolkien Reveals TRUE Meaning Of 'The Lord Of The Rings' In Unearthed
      Audio Recording

      http://t.co/DwosP98BfO

      Over 20 years ago, a lost recording of J.R.R. Tolkien was discovered in a
      basement in Rotterdam, but the man who found it kept this important reel-to-
      reel tape hidden away. Until recently, only he had heard the recording. But
      now, I am one of those lucky Middle-earth lovers who has listened to this
      magical magnetic tape, and I happily declare that it is awesome. For it
      proves once and for all that Professor Tolkien was, in fact, very much the
      hobbit that we all suspected him to be. What's more, we get to hear Tolkien
      reading a lost poem in the Elven tongue which he translates into English. And
      to top it off, he states in unambiguous terms (cue Rohirrim war trumpets) the
      real meaning of The Lord of the Rings!

      The recording took place on March 28th, 1958 in Rotterdam at a "Hobbit
      Dinner" put on by Tolkien's Dutch publisher and a bookseller. Tolkien's own
      publisher, Allen and Unwin, paid for his trip to the Netherlands to attend
      this special party. According to his letters the author was chuffed to find
      that Rotterdam was filled with people "intoxicated with hobbits." Tolkien
      showed up at a packed hall where 200 hobbit fanatics had come to hear him and
      other scholars talk about Middle-earth. The menu for the dinner was
      whimsically Tolkienesque, with Egg-salad à la Barliman Butterbur, Vegetables
      of Goldberry, and Maggot-soup (mushroom soup regrettably named after Farmer
      Maggot). And a Dutch tobacco company supplied the tables with clay pipes and
      tobacco labeled Old Toby and Longbottom Leaf, which pleased Tolkien, a
      devotee of the "art" of smoking pipe-weed.

      Accounts of the event have been cobbled together over the years but, sadly,
      nobody bothered to transcribe exactly what Tolkien said. Christopher Tolkien
      must have had some of his father's notes for his speech, because a brief
      passage from Tolkien's Hobbit Dinner oration appears in Humphrey Carpenter's
      biography, albeit in a slightly different form. Thankfully we now know that
      someone had made a complete recording of the event. This reel-to-reel tape
      was discovered in 1993 by a Dutchman named René van Rossenberg, a Tolkien
      expert who owns a shop in the Netherlands devoted to all things Middle-earth
      (TolkienShop.com). Why didn't van Rossenberg show it to anybody until now?

      "Like Smaug I am guarding my treasure, hissing at any collector who comes
      near," he recently stated in response to my email query. Fortunately, a
      Middle-earth maven named Jay Johnstone, one of the founders of the
      fantasy/sci-fi site Legendarium.me, sleuthed that van Rossenberg had the
      recording in his possession, and persuaded him to open his dragon hoard. "I
      am looking forward to sharing with all Tolkien aficionados the great joy I
      felt when I first played the tape and heard Tolkien give his great speech,"
      added van Rossenberg.

      Legendarium and the Tolkien site MiddleEarthNetwork.com have partnered with
      van Rossenberg to raise both awareness and funds in order to remaster the
      original reel-to-reel tape, chronicle the event, and make it available to the
      world this fall via the Rotterdam Project. "Anything new from Tolkien is
      always exciting," said Tom Shippey, author of J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the
      Century, "but the Rotterdam Project is especially so. A speech from Tolkien,
      in the first years of his success with Lord of the Rings, when he was among
      friends, enjoying himself, and able to speak freely!"

      At the start of the speech Tolkien is indeed full of high-spirits and cracks
      jokes in a way that we've never heard him do before. Rather than the ultra-
      serious Oxford don whom most of us know from his scanty recordings, we get
      Tolkien-as-Bilbo, right out of the chapter "A Long-expected Party." He even
      makes reference to that famous eleventy-first birthday, for Tolkien's oration
      was intended as a parody of Bilbo's farewell speech. The author's merry
      voice, with its brusque and rich accent, dances around your head like a
      hobbit drinking song. For the Professor, it was said by one of his former
      students, "Could turn a lecture room into a mead hall."

      Tolkien thanked the assembled "hobbits" for giving him the greatest party of
      his life. He spoke very modestly about The Lord of the Rings calling it "A
      poor thing, but my own." He couldn't believe that the people there would want
      to hear an after-dinner autobiography. So he jumped right into explaining the
      construction of his great narrative work, stating that the One Ring is a mere
      mechanism that "sets the clock ticking fast." And then he quite plainly
      spells out what the books are about--something he only alluded to once in a
      letter, but is incontrovertible in this speech. (If you want to know exactly
      what he says you'll just have to listen for yourself!)

      At one point he read a poem in Elvish, joking that hobbits were always
      terrified when someone threatened to recite poetry at a party. He prefaced
      the poem by saying it was almost twenty years to the day since he had started
      working on The Lord of the Rings. His mellifluous voice makes the imaginary
      language come alive, like sinuous silvery mithril script etched in the mind's
      eye:

      Twenty years have flowed away down the long river
      And never in my life will return for me from the sea
      Ah years in which looking far away I saw ages long past
      When still trees bloomed free in a wide country
      And thus now all begins to wither
      With the breath of cold-hearted wizards
      To know things they break them
      And their stern lordship they establish
      Through fear of death

      Tolkien had spent the afternoon walking around Rotterdam--a city that had
      suffered much destruction during World War II. The sight of it had saddened
      him, reminding him of the "orc-ery" that he so lamented taking hold of the
      world. The "cold-hearted wizards," in their quest for knowledge and power,
      were only good at destroying things. In his final salute to the assembly of
      hobbit-lovers, Tolkien said that Sauron is gone, but the descendants of the
      hateful, Shire-polluting wizard Saruman are everywhere. The hobbits of the
      world have no magic weapons to fight them. But, he adds with a robust and
      hopeful declaration:

      "And yet here gentlehobbits may I conclude by giving you this toast. To the
      hobbits! And may they outlast all the wizards!"

      The Rotterdam Hobbit Dinner was the first of its kind, and also the last. For
      Tolkien never again attended another party like this in his honor. But now we
      have the proof of what took place on that wonderful night, and what the great
      author said. And the sound of Tolkien's voice, like his works, will outlast
      death.

      http://t.co/DwosP98BfO
    • Carolyn Janson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2014
        Can't wait! Will you be able to let us know when the recording comes
        out, Steve?

        Carolyn

        --
        Carolyn
        I'm an iherb fan: use my code WUY356 for your first purchase