Madeleine l'Engle dies

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
      Author Madeleine L’Engle died last night in Connecticut, at the age of 89.
      Best known for her 1963 Newbery Award winner A Wrinkle in Time and its
      sequels, L’Engle was the author of more than 60 books for adults and young
      readers, most of which were published by FSG. This spring, the Square Fish
      imprint of Holtzbrinck reissued L'Engle's Time Quintet in new editions.

      http://tinyurl.com/32e4ov

      http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
    • SherryT
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
        >>From: Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...>
        >Date: 2007/09/07 Fri PM 12:03:28 CDT
        >To: eldil@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [eldil] Madeleine l'Engle dies

        >Author Madeleine L’Engle died last night in Connecticut, at the age of 89.
        >Best known for her 1963 Newbery Award winner A Wrinkle in Time and its
        >sequels, L’Engle was the author of more than 60 books for adults and young
        >readers, most of which were published by FSG. This spring, the Square Fish
        >imprint of Holtzbrinck reissued L'Engle's Time Quintet in new editions.
        >
        >http://tinyurl.com/32e4ov
        >
        >--
        >Steve Hayes
        >E-mail: shayes@...
        > Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
        > http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
        > Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
        >Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727

        Andre Norton, Octavia Butler, Lloyd Alexander, Kurt Vonnegut, and now Madeleine L'Engle. It's been a bad year for fantasy/SF authors.

        I especially regret the deaths of Lloyd Alexander and Madeleine L'Engle. I always expected I would meet them at a conference and would have a chance to thank them for their work.

        It's difficult now for me to keep my dates straight, but I believe nearly all of the "core Inklings" had passed on by the time I discovered their books. I became a Christian, thanks to Lewis. I have a self-indulgent daydream in which I enter the lowest verges of Heaven to find Lewis my guide just as he found a certain favorite author is own guide. The best part of the daydream would be thanking him for all that his writings did for me.

        When it came to Madeleine L'Engle, I thought I would have a chance to thank her in the flesh. Lewis identified Joy and it's divine Source. I thought capturing Joy in the pages of a book was unique to Lewis until I picked up A Wrinkle in Time & a Wind in the Door.

        Tolkien, Lewis, L'Engle, Williams - what an adventure of discovery it was in the days before split-second searches on the web. The word "Inklings" linked Tolkien to Lewis and, because it did, it was a word of power and mystery.

        Sorry. The proper tribute to the passing of Ms. L'Engle would be rereading her books. Alas, I don't currently have the time but I suspect other readers will be performing the ritual.

        Under the Mercy,

        SherryT

        ~~~~~~~~~
        Seabird will be available from Gryphonwood Press, Nov 2007.
        http://www.gryphonwoodpress.com/images/catalogueJune2007.pdf

        Fans of C.S. Lewis will love Sherry Thompson's novel. When Cara Marshall is transported to Narenta, she is proclaimed champion of its people against the sorcerous daemagos. Amid the grateful welcomes, Cara protests that she has been
        "world-napped," and wants neither her title nor her mission.
        "They've got the wrong person and they're going to get me killed because they won't admit it."
        With no knowledge of weapons or magic, can she save the Tethran kingdom and find her way home?

        Read a sample at: http://khivasmommy.googlepages.com/home
        ~~~~~~~~~
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2007
          On 7 Sep 2007 at 17:40, SherryT wrote:

          > >>From: Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...>

          > Andre Norton, Octavia Butler, Lloyd Alexander, Kurt Vonnegut, and now
          > Madeleine L'Engle. It's been a bad year for fantasy/SF authors.

          Yes... here's a fuller obit:

          http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_89811_ENG_HTM.htm

          [Episcopal News Service] Madeleine L'Engle, a lay Episcopalian who wrote
          more than 60 books ranging from children's stories to theological
          reflection, died September 6 in Litchfield, Connecticut. She was 88.

          Her death, of natural causes in a nursing home, was announced September 7 by
          her publisher, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, according to the Associated Press.

          L'Engle was best known for her children's classic, "A Wrinkle in Time,"
          which won the John Newbery Award as the best children's book of 1963. By
          2004, it had sold more than 6 million copies, was in its 67th printing and
          was still selling 15,000 copies a year, the New York Times reported.

          She had been the writer-in-residence and librarian at the Episcopal
          Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City.

          In November 2000, she told an interviewer for Religion and Ethics Newsweekly
          that suffering and grief are a part of life.

          "In times when we are not particularly suffering, we do not have enough time
          for God," she said. "We are too busy with other things. And then the intense
          suffering comes, and we can not be busy with other things. And then God
          comes into the equation. Help. And we should never be afraid of crying out,
          'Help!' I need all the help I can get."

          L'Engle wrote a number of books for adults, many of them reflecting on her
          faith. Those titles included "Bright Evening Star: Mystery of the
          Incarnation" and "Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art." She also
          wrote a series known as the Crosswicks Journal, based on the liturgical year
          and reflecting on the seasons of her own life. Titles included "A Circle of
          Quiet," "The Summer of the Great-Grandmother," "The Irrational Season," and
          "Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage."

          Funeral arrangements are pending as of this writing.

          http://www.episcopalchurch.org/images/ELO_89811_lengle_md.jpg

          http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw