W.H. Auden & the Inklings

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2013
      W.H. Auden and the Inklings

      W. H. Auden, who attended Tolkien's lectures as an undergraduate, was also an
      occasional correspondent and was on friendly terms with Tolkien from the mid-
      1950s until Tolkien's death, initiated by Auden's fascination with The Lord
      of the Rings. Auden was among the most prominent early critics to praise the
      work. Tolkien wrote in a 1971 letter:

      "I am [...] very deeply in Auden's debt in recent years. His support of me
      and interest in my work has been one of my chief encouragements. He gave me
      very good reviews, notices and letters from the beginning when it was by no
      means a popular thing to do. He was, in fact, sneered at for it".

      W.H. Auden, one of Charles Williams greatest admirers, reportedly re-read
      Williams’s extraordinary and highly unconventional history of the church,
      Descent of the Dove(1939), every year.

      http://oxfordinklings.blogspot.com/2013/10/wh-auden-and-inklings.html

    • Ahnemann
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2013
        Very interesting, Steve. Thank you!
        Ann

        Sent from my iPad

[...]

      • Hummingwolf
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2013
          Auden mentions both Tolkien and Williams in his poem "On the Circuit," which is the only poem I know of that names more than one Inkling.
          You can read the poem at:
          http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15552
          They used to have a clip of Auden reading the poem on the same site, but that seems to be unavailable now. Pity.

          Subject: [eldil] W.H. Auden & the Inklings
          To: eldil@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 1:58 AM

          W.H. Auden and the Inklings