Re: [eldil] (Fwd) C.S. Lewis Society Update 12/05/07

  • SherryT
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2007
      >From: Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...>
      >Subject: [eldil] (Fwd) C.S. Lewis Society Update 12/05/07

      >------- Forwarded message follows -------
      >Subject: C.S. Lewis Society Update 12/05/07

      >Please note the following in this issue of the
      >C.S. Lewis Society Update (12/05/07):
      >http://www.lewissociety.org
      >

      > 3. Christianity vs. Atheism Debate Video:
      >Dinesh D'Souza vs. Daniel Dennett

      > 5. New Book: "Planet Narnia," by Michael Ward
      Narnia's secret undergirding of the Ptolemaic planetary system sounds like it might be interesting, though I didn't realize analyst were frantically grappling for a basis for the Chronicles--besides Christian-related stories for children that began as mental images with Jack. ;)

      >2. Christianity vs. Atheism Debate Video: Dinesh D'Souza vs. Daniel Dennett

      I would -love- to watch and listen to this but I have only a dial-up connection! If anyone runs into a transcription of the debate, could they please post the source? (Or, even a description of the topics and opposing arguments presented by each person).

      Thanks!

      Under the Mercy,

      SherryT

> [...]
      >

      >3. New Book: "Planet Narnia"
      >
      >The December 2007 issue of "Touchstone" magazine
      >features the cover article, "Narnia's Secret:
      >C.S. Lewis & and the Seven Heavens," by Dr.
      >Michael Ward (Chaplain of Peterhouse, University
      >of Cambridge). In the article, he discusses the
      >revolutionary findings in his new book, "Planet
      >Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of
      >C. S. Lewis" (Oxford University Press).
      >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195313879/theindepeende-20/002-
      >6508816
      >-9461647
      >
      >For more than half a century, scholars have
      >labored to show that C. S. Lewis's famed
      >"Chronicles of Narnia" series has an underlying
      >symbolic coherence, pointing to such possible
      >unifying themes as the seven sacraments, seven
      >deadly sins, and seven books of Edmund Spenser's
      >"Faerie Queene." However, none of these
      >explanations has won general acceptance and the
      >structure of Narnia's symbolism has remained a
      >mystery.
      >
      >Now, Michael Ward has finally solved the enigma.
      >In "Planet Narnia" he demonstrates that the
      >medieval (Ptolemic) cosmology or world view, a
      >subject which fascinated Lewis throughout his
      >life, provides the imaginative key to the seven
      >novels. Drawing on the whole range of Lewis's
      >writings (including "The Discarded Image," "The
      >Space Trilogy," and previously unpublished drafts
      >of the "Chronicles"), Ward reveals how the Narnia
      >stories were designed to express the mythological
      >characteristics of the seven medieval planets --
      >Jupiter, Mars, Sol, Luna, Mercury, Venus, and
      >Saturn -- planets which Lewis described as
      >"spiritual symbols of permanent value" and
      >"especially worthwhile in our own generation."
      >Using these seven symbols, Lewis secretly
      >constructed the "Chronicles" so that the
      >story-line in each book, countless points of
      >ornamental detail, and, most important, the
      >portrayal of the Christ-figure of Aslan, all
      >serve to communicate a coherent, unifying, and
      >governing perspective. For instance, in "The
      >Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'," the sun is the
      >prevailing planetary spirit: magical water turns
      >things to gold, the solar metal; Aslan is seen
      >flying in a sunbeam; and the sun's rising place
      >is actually identified as the destination of the
      >plot: "the very eastern end of the world."
      >
      >"Planet Narnia" is a seminal and ground-breaking
      >book that will provoke a major revaluation not
      >only of the "Chronicles," but of Lewis's whole
      >literary and theological outlook. Ward uncovers
      >Lewis as an even more subtle, imaginative and
      >important writer and thinker than previously
      >understood.
      >
      >http://oxfordinklings.blogspot.com/2006/08/planet-narnia-xi-summary.html
      >
      >4. Other Events:
      >http://www.lewissociety.org/events.php
      >
      >"Is Religion a Force for Good or Evil? And Can You Be Good Without God?
      >Dinesh D'Souza vs. Michael Shermer: A Debate"

      ~~~~~~~~~
      Seabird will be available from Gryphonwood Press, Nov 2007.
      http://www.gryphonwoodpress.com/images/catalogueJune2007.pdf

      Fans of C.S. Lewis will love Sherry Thompson's novel. When Cara Marshall is transported to Narenta, she is proclaimed champion of its people against the sorcerous daemagos. Amid the grateful welcomes, Cara protests that she has been
      "world-napped," and wants neither her title nor her mission.
      "They've got the wrong person and they're going to get me killed because they won't admit it."
      With no knowledge of weapons or magic, can she save the Tethran kingdom and find her way home?

      Read a sample at: http://khivasmommy.googlepages.com/home
      ~~~~~~~~~