The Inklings and theology of religions

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2013
      An Anabaptist friend recently wrote on his blog asking how useful trinitarian
      doctrine is for a theology of religions:

      http://t.co/OrIRrQ4K

      He referred to a doctoral thesis that, it seemed to me, was barking up the
      same wrong tree as much that passes for "theology of religions" nowadays.

      I've written a kind of critique of this approach to theology of religions on
      my blog here:

      http://wp.me/prn7s-5E

      and much of that is based on the fiction of the Inklings, C.S. Lewis and
      Tolkien in particular.

      I'd be interested in any comments anyone has to make on that, if anyone is
      open ot a discussion on it.

    • Andrew Beussink
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2013
        It reminds me of a passages from Chesterton's "The Everlasting Man" that Confucius and the Buddha, on beholding the God-child "would have come to complete their conceptions with something they had not conceived," that any religion has some glimpse of truth, and that truth is found more complete in Christ.  Lewis, Tolkien and Williams all had the ability to discern these glimpses and redeem their images -- not just empty them of their original meaning and reuse them.