Tolkien's vs. Jackson's Bilbo

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2013
      The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
      A New Year, Another Look

      The 2D difference, and Tolkien's vs. Jackson's Bilbo

      Mark Sommer | 01/01/13 |

      Jackson's Bilbo

      Last night I took my wife to see the Hobbit movie. She was not able to
      accompany me to the screening, and has been wanting to see it. I also have
      been wanting to see the movie in 2D. As much as I wanted to just sit back and
      enjoy the movie, I had a hard time removing the critic’s hat. Watching it
      without the 3D distractions was helpful, but it didn’t take away what I found
      most disturbing about the film. The eruptions of laughter around me at
      various points in the film reminded me that this is probably a much more
      enjoyable film than my “expertise” often allows, so I will try to keep that
      in mind as I share a few more thoughts about the movie. I also feel a bit
      more free to discuss details of the film, since many have been able to see
      the movie now. So beware; there are some spoilers below. (You can find my
      previous comments in my review and preview of the film.)

      I must say that this time I actually enjoyed much of the first sequence with
      the destruction of Dale and Smaug’s takeover of The Lonely Mountain. During
      my first viewing of the film, I was too distracted trying to get used to the
      3D, and I missed much of what was going on. Yes, it was that distracting for
      me. I was able to take in a few more details this time. I’m pretty sure I saw
      some bearded female dwarves, something Lord of the Rings fans have been
      looking for since Gimli made his famous comment in The Two Towers film.

      I have said previously that I appreciate that Peter Jackson is including some
      of this background information, but I don’t like the emphasis on battles
      instead of the character development of the main protagonist, Bilbo. As I
      said in my review:

      In dividing the story into three parts, the writers had to make choices
      on how to make each part complete—an entire story within a story. This
      affects the character arc of the protagonist. Specifically for An Unexpected
      Journey, by the end of the movie Bilbo reaches a point of being admired by
      the dwarves that he does not attain by that point in the book. Which is not
      so bad in itself, if it were not for the way in which he attains it.

      Tolkien’s Bilbo is no warrior, and he never becomes one. He earns the
      dwarves’ respect in more subtle ways. Jackson’s Bilbo, on the other hand, has
      a rather berserker-like moment, gaining him the admiration of Thorin.

      It is true that in the book Bilbo does play the hero later with the giant
      spiders. But he has also gained the use of the ring at that point, so it is
      not quite as heroic an act as Jackson’s Bilbo taking on an orc. The sequence
      has some other problems, such as the inconsistency of Azog telling one of his
      orcs to cut off Thorin’s head after specifically telling his cohorts that
      Thorin was his to kill. Jackson and crew rightly decided Bilbo was not ready
      to tackle Azog, but the way this plays out just does not make sense.

      Part of what has made The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings so great, in my
      opinion, is the “everyman” character of Biblo, Sam, and, to a lesser extent,
      Frodo. I was reminded of this as I was reading the fifth chapter of Colin
      Duriez’ new biography of Tolkien, "The Making of a Legend". He comments how
      Tolkien was pleased with (fellow-Inkling) Charles Williams’ evaluation of
      what would become The Lord of the Rings. In a letter to his son Christopher,
      he comments upon the roles of Bilbo, Sam, and Frodo (Letters of J.R.R.
      Tolkien, p. 105-6):

      "Cert. Sam is the most closely drawn character, the successor to Bilbo of
      the first book, the genuine hobbit. Frodo is not so interesting, because he
      has to be highminded, and has (as it were) a vocation. The book will prob.
      end up with Sam. Frodo will naturally become too ennobled and rarefied by the
      achievement of the great Quest, and will pass West with all the great
      figures; but S. will settle down to the Shire and gardens and inns. C.
      Williams who is reading it all says the great thing is that its centre is not
      in strife and war and heroism (though they are understood and depicted) but
      in freedom, peace, ordinary life and good liking. Yet he agrees that these
      very things require the existence of a great world outside the Shire – lest
      they should grow stale by custom and turn into the humdrum…."

      For Tolkien, war and heroism are on the periphery. They are part of the
      story, and a catalyst for change in his protagonists, but they are never the
      main focus. Jackson makes them the main focus, with “freedom, peace, ordinary
      life” at the periphery. It is probably a subtle difference to many fans, but
      I believe it is an important one. When the focus is on heroism and war, too
      often the result is an attitude of “winning at any cost.” As Jesus said,
      “what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?”
      [Mark 8:36 NLT]

      Jackson’s prologue, besides being a shift in emphasis from the mundane to
      war, fails because it is not Bilbo’s story. Why does it start with Bilbo
      saying he hadn’t told his whole story to Frodo, and then proceeding with a
      history lesson from long ago? There is a jarring disconnect there. The later
      flashback, continuing the dwarves’ story, works much better coming out of the
      mouth of Balin, who was actually there. I also still felt rather
      uncomfortable when we finally get back to where Bilbo actually comes into the
      story. The famous first few lines of JRR Tolkien’s book, written in a
      narrative, third-person style, sound strange coming from the Hobbit’s mouth.
      As much as PJ and company wanted to meet fans’ expectations by including
      those words, I should think they could have come up with a better way to
      present them. (Would a hobbit actually call his home a “hole in the ground”?)

      The Unexpected Party sequence of the film, despite having some brilliant
      moments, I found to be rather tedious and drawn out. The rest of the movie is
      rather well paced, but once Thorin arrives on the scene, the mood becomes
      somber for too long. Even Bilbo’s fainting spell, while getting a few
      chuckles from the audience, falls a little flat.

      There are some other problems, like the over-the-top video-game-like fight
      sequences in the goblin tunnels, and the anti-climatic demise of the Great
      Goblin. Corey Olsen, “The Tolkien Professor,” sees this unfortunate scene as
      a result of the screenwriters’ attempt to combine both the darkness of The
      Lord of the Rings and the whimsy of The Hobbit.* I’ve said elsewhere that
      Jackson did a great job in The Lord of the Rings providing comic relief while
      telling a dark story. His attempt at whimsy this time around sometimes comes
      off as childish rather then whimsical.

      One whimsical sequence that did work rather well was the Trolls. Some fans
      have complained a bit about the crude bathroom humor, but I didn’t really
      find anything offensive at all. They are Trolls! The scene finds the perfect
      balance between tension and comic relief, and gives Bilbo a chance to show
      his quick wit, even if it was Gandalf’s wit that saved the day in the book.
      If you are going to change things, more of this, PJ, and less of the video
      game fluff and crazy heroics.

      Well, I’ve been pretty negative. But I hope I’ve been fair. Peter Jackson
      certainly has the right to change what he will to try to make the story work
      on film. Much of what he has done works well. But I guess I have the right to
      say when I think what he has done doesn’t work. And what doesn’t work for me
      might work for someone else. That’s the subjective nature of art.

      Maybe next time I write a review of this first Hobbit movie (when the DVD
      comes out?), I’ll try to focus on what PJ and company did right.

      Source:
      http://live.hollywoodjesus.com/?p=11207
    • Carolyn Janson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2013
        Thanks for a thoughtful and interesting review, Steve. It makes me wish
        modern producers - and writers - would focus less on conflict; it
        certainly was not Tolkien's focus.
        This is not an artistic critique, but as a devoted animal activist, I
        was not pleased by the poor record of care for the animals involved in
        the film: 27 were killed or injured in the making of the film. That is
        not a record any film-maker should be proud of.

        I keep returning to my first love - reading. Somehow, I don't feel the
        need to immortalize great books on film. That is entirely subjective, I
        know....

        Carolyn

        On 02/01/2013 13:41, Steve Hayes wrote:
> [...]
        > find anything offensive at all. They are Trolls! The scene finds the perfect
        > balance between tension and comic relief, and gives Bilbo a chance to show
        > his quick wit, even if it was Gandalf’s wit that saved the day in the book.
        > If you are going to change things, more of this, PJ, and less of the video
        > game fluff and crazy heroics.
        >
        > Well, I’ve been pretty negative. But I hope I’ve been fair. Peter Jackson
        > certainly has the right to change what he will to try to make the story work
        > on film. Much of what he has done works well. But I guess I have the right to
        > say when I think what he has done doesn’t work. And what doesn’t work for me
        > might work for someone else. That’s the subjective nature of art.
        >
        > Maybe next time I write a review of this first Hobbit movie (when the DVD
        > comes out?), I’ll try to focus on what PJ and company did right.

        I'm an iherb fan: use my code WUY356 for your first purchase
        and get $5 off.
        http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=wuy356