Re: [eldil] Film of "The hobbit"

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2012
      On 30 Dec 2012 at 19:15, Steve Hayes wrote:

      > Has anyone seen the film of "The hobbit"?
      >
      > Any comments, reviews etc?

      In a blog post I wrote about a Soviet view of hobbits, and included a couple
      of illustrations from the Russian translation, showing them with hairy legs.

      Now someone has posted a comment questioning this, and saying that the
      depiction of hobbits in the film is accurate, exactly as Tolkien described
      them

      http://khanya.wordpress.com/2010/05/29/a-soviet-view-of-hobbits/

      One reason that I never saw the "Lord of the Rings" films, and probably won't
      see "The Hobbit" one either, is that I don't want a clash between the film
      director's view of hobbits and the pictures I see in my head when I read the
      books, and though the Soviet version doesn't quite fit, neither does the film
      version, to judge from the pictures I've seen in posters and trailers.

      As for the hairly legs bit, my explanation is that the Russian translators
      probably used the word "noga", which means both "leg" and "foot", and the
      illustrator used the translated description as the basis of the picture,.