Film of "The hobbit"

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2012
      Has anyone seen the film of "The hobbit"?

      Any comments, reviews etc?

      And a merry/happy New Year to all!

      Incidentally, we've been having the annual butterfly migration that always
      reminds me of "The place of the .lion"

      See here:

      http://ondermynende.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/migration-of-the-butterflies/

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2012
        On 30 Dec 2012 at 19:15, Steve Hayes wrote:

        > Has anyone seen the film of "The hobbit"?
        >
        > Any comments, reviews etc?

        In a blog post I wrote about a Soviet view of hobbits, and included a couple
        of illustrations from the Russian translation, showing them with hairy legs.

        Now someone has posted a comment questioning this, and saying that the
        depiction of hobbits in the film is accurate, exactly as Tolkien described
        them

        http://khanya.wordpress.com/2010/05/29/a-soviet-view-of-hobbits/

        One reason that I never saw the "Lord of the Rings" films, and probably won't
        see "The Hobbit" one either, is that I don't want a clash between the film
        director's view of hobbits and the pictures I see in my head when I read the
        books, and though the Soviet version doesn't quite fit, neither does the film
        version, to judge from the pictures I've seen in posters and trailers.

        As for the hairly legs bit, my explanation is that the Russian translators
        probably used the word "noga", which means both "leg" and "foot", and the
        illustrator used the translated description as the basis of the picture,.