Hipster Christianity

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2012
      A couple of years ago I came across an article on Hipster Christianity,
      which, it seemed to me was pretty wide of the mark. It linked to a quiz,
      which purported to show whether you were a hipster Christian, and dropped a
      bunch of names I had never heard of.

      About 50 years ago I was a proponent of hipster Christianity, which was
      nothing like what was described in this article;.

      Yesterday, however, I came across another article, here:

      http://exconvert.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/on-hipster-christianity-and-
      their.html
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/d3wqvh3

      which seemed to come a lot closer to the mark.

      The article is written by someone who rejects that culture but some aspects
      of it at least are recognisable. It also seems to have something in common
      with the "emerging church" fad that was popular some 5-6 years ago, and
      seemed to fall into the category of "Stuff White People Like".

      One of the features this article ascribes to "Hipster Christianity" is an
      interest in the works of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and G.K. Chesterton, though no
      mention of other Inklings, such as Charles Williams. .

      I think the article is worth reading, and would be interested in hearing what
      others think of it. How well does it describe you. Where does it come close
      to the mark, and where is it far off the mark, and why?

      I think it is related to the whole "Gospel and 'our' culture" thing that was
      being promoted by fans of Lesslie Newbigin about 10-12 years ago, though
      again, it is not something one hears much about nowadays.

      I've written a few thoughts about it here:

      http://khanya.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/hipster-christianity-redux/

      with links to some of the other articles on the topic, and I'd really like to
      discuss it. And what does it have to say about the gospel and Western
      culture, or about evangelising (or re-evangelising) the Western world?

      I'm hoping that people will discuss it in the Christianity and Society forum,
      since it is wider than a purely literary interest, though the mention of the
      Inklings makes it relevant here too.

      Christianity & Society
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chris_soc/

      Group Email Addresses